Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:56 AM   #1

So, one thing that film still has over digital asside from ultimate resolution, is the range from light to dark that it can capture. Black and white film especially can nearly capture the same range that the eye can see, where as digital can do maybe half.
The ultimate example would be looking at an object in direct sunlight, that has sharp shadows crossing it as well. Our eyes can see detail of the object in both the shade and sun at the same time. Because it was so beautiful we snaped a black and white film photo of it which also captured detail in the light and dark. and since we can't ever stop taking pictures we pull out the digital and snap a pic.
Upon hitting the review button though we find that the areas in sun are all washed out and blinking on the screen meaning they are areas of pure white, no information or detail. We also see that the areas in shade are extremely dark and its difficult to make out any detail at all.
Digital sensors are getting better. I find the fz15 to have a very good range relative to other digicams. my old minolta s414 for example had a very small range.

My question is this; If I change the contrast setting to low, does that then resolve detail further into light and shadow? or is it similar to lowering contrast on a photo in photoshop (just dulls the whole image, because photoshop can't generate detail out of nothing)

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:19 AM   #2

I generaly keep the contrast on low but then I like using PS.

I also use spot or center meter and find I can almost always get one or the other correct, depending on which I feel is the most important...there are some really some nice things available to either lighten the foreground or replace the sky.

Also auto bracket can allow you to blend 2 photos.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the link genece.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:56 AM   #4

You can split the difference and get a little of both sky and landscape.
You can choose landscape and wash out the sky. You can schoose sky
have a pretty dark landscape. Dark areas can be lightened, but washed
out areas are just plain lost. A DSLR with a less congested sensor will have
greater dynamic range. If I don't want a landscape silhouette I try to split
the difference and either keep it that way or deal with it later in PP as best
I can.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:26 PM   #5

cool link
kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:40 PM   #6

Kiwi I bracket contrasty shots either + or - 1/3 or 2/3 stops I also meter carefully from a light area so always get 3 useable images.
I have found PhotoShop CS2 shadow Highlight feature works very well on the image thats got dark shadows it enables me to open up the image BUT not loose Highlights.
Yes blown Highlights are a problem with Digi Cams

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote