Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:54 PM   #11

I'm using smugmug so that friends and family can see the photos too. They have no limit on the amount you store. It costs about $30 per year with rebates for referals. See it at : http://tswill2.smugmug.com/ Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:46 PM   #12

I agree with Gene ......160GB USB drive for Photo archive and later tranfer the best images to CD/DVD..... the HD is very fast and easy to use.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:59 PM   #13

..one addition:

One of my external HDs is a vosonic VP3320.
- Offline store and verify of SD and CF cards - very (!) fast.
- USB external HD and card reader - reliable
- standard Fuji NP-120 batteries (I have 3 of them, but I need only one).
- my HD: 80GB
- external power supply with 4 AA cells possible.
- standard laptop HDs
- cheap

and the usual features today:
- MP3 player
- radio .....
- voice recorder

In german we call this "WollMilchSau", which means: it serves all my needs!
There is no picture display, but you can save back the pictures to your SD card.

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:48 PM   #14

just got me one of those DVD recordable drives with DL (dual layer) capacity. I can record about 8 gigs on one disc. Works great with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 (and remember to do the updates- in the help pull down window). It works seamlessly. The only downside is that it takes about 40min to burn a disc, but it is an 8 gig disc. The discs are 8.5 gigs but, I can only store 8 gigs. I guess the .5 holds some sort of software. Either way, it is great. I have been uploading my old picture CDs. I get about 11 CDs onto one of my DVD+R DL discs (which right now are pretty expensive at about $4 a pop). I am uploading my cds right now to my hd, and then I will burn them to the DL disc. My Sony drive cost about $79, can't beat it. Also if you go this route, make sure to update the firmware (advice given to me on the box of my Fuji DL discs). It made all the difference, b4 that, I would get errors, and have to throw away a $4 disc.

You can buy an external drive, if you aren't good at opening up your PC. I have heard great things about Plextor. I also own an older (about 2 years)external TDK DVD writer (but not dual layer) and it is a great unit. What I love about it is that I have some old CD-Rs that I burned at my job. My laptop can't read it, my sony DVD-ROM can't read it, I put it in my external TDK and it reads it perfectly. I wish it was a dual layered. It plays back dual layered, as all dvd players should.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:00 PM   #15

Plextor is the "Nikon D2x" (sorry guys, but we are still waitingfor pana to climb a little more) of the media burner world (both on CD and DVD readers / burners)

I have a Plextor PX-716A and a Hitachi 250Gb both mounted on two external 5,25 enclosures with USB high-Speed (2.0) connection. Why external ? for a few good reasons, first being external, they are not always working, just turn them on when needed (but always plugged), thenthe live much longer...second, portability,can use them with differentPc's, LAptop, fixed, at home, business, at brother home, friends...etc, third, If theywere internal, could need a more powerful ATX power supply, (depends on model and other internal accessories), forth, more internal, more heat, andthat's not good..., Fifth, less "always on" accessories, less noise, last, (as far I remember now)IT business is my main occupation for more the 20 years ( I started very young...), so I do know what I'm doing...Hope I can say this on Photo in some decades...

P.S. I prefer individual enclosure and units, I can change items over time, and can match better stuff, and is cheeper...for example if I buy a X brand external disk , It has a proprietary AC adapter, in less than two years, if it brakes, I cannot find a replacement, all goes dead, with a enclose like this, no problem at all they are very cheap "IF" that happens...never heard of, but I did on the proprietary ones. Other advantage I can swap disks between PC's / external enclosures, in some time I'llmove this 250 Giga from my external enclosure to internal one on my son Pc and buy a 400Gb one to fit on the enclosure it.
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:48 PM   #16

DVD are good for archive along with external HD.

A few thing to keep in mind about DVD as storage:

1) Buy at least two different brands of DVD blanks.
2) DONT burn at max speed.
3) Burn two copies on on one mfg and the other on the other.
4) Get, rent what ever a off site storage box.
5) If you store one in a home safe. Place it in a good case and then in a zip lock bag.
6) FORGET the double layer.
7) Spend the money for quality archive grade DVD.
8 ) Also best to keep a working copy to view.
9) Check the backups every few months. Thats ALL data on a disk. Any goofs toss that disk and make a replacement.
10) Dont use the backup for anything except for that. Have a working backup set you can use made from one of the master. Only uses if the master if the working copy dies or you have problems.

Hard drive are also good but plan on twins!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:48 AM   #17

Hi all

I also suggest more than thanone HD and more than one set of DVDs, My external HD died, irretrievable unless lots of money spent. The control board burn out.

Luckily i am paranoid and had the same data mirrored on a 2nd internal drive, and on DVDs which i write every two months. I make a complete back up of all data which at the moment is 15 DVDs. Also thinking of getting another internal Drive as well, just to be connected every week for back up.

Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:16 PM   #18

That's not Paranoid, Dassie

I have recently erased some old photos from my second HD, but before doing that I made a second Backup copy on some CDs (about 5Gb) adding them to the first backup: CDs and DVDs might become unreadable in a few months or years for unpredictable reasons (while most of them would last many years).

So it's better not to risk.

I heard some researcher point out that magnetic tape is less prone to deterioration in time than CDs, DVD and perhaps HDs too.. !!!
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote