Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:51 PM   #21

oberjager wrote:
Stan - I searched and learned that the Panasonic DMW-RS1 Remote Shutter is nice, but not cordless. Do you have the part number for the cordless model?

I am just a bit excited 8) and would like to find it and order it tonight if possible :sleep: before bed.

Thanks again and best wishes. O :bye:
I think you would have a hard time to find a wireless remote. I made one a long time ago as I wanted to set up the camera and operate the shutter from a long distance away. Search for wireless on the forums.

I will help you IF you want to DIY. Need a cheap multimeter and some solder and a few parts. I found it quite easy to make one. There are a few variations posted.

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:30 AM   #22

oberjager wrote:

My most desired use will be on a tripod taking photos of wildlife in early morning or late evening.

Thanks for the help!

Hmm. If you're planning on shooting wildlife in the early morning or late evening, that would suggest you're going to be shooting in low lighting situations. Not real sure if either FZ20 or 30 will perform for you in these conditions. Maybe a DSLR would suit these conditions more. From my experience with the FZ and wildlife shooting, a lot of light is needed, or boosted ISO to achieve a desirable shutter speed. I really don't think when shooting in low light that the FZ's will be able to perform well enough to capture wildlife effectively. In good light, they're great, but not low light. Hope this helps........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:57 AM   #23

If you think by buying an FZ30 you will get a better picture or you can blow up the pictures to a larger size and retain quality, it isn't gonna happen on most occasions.

However, if you want all the problems of the FZ 20 solved except the noise, then buy the FZ30.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:37 PM   #24

oberjager wrote:
Hi KD: Thanks for your reply. Wow, great photos of the sheep!!! I enjoyed reading your comments too - especially of how you should not give away your secrets about getting those shots. Just let everyone think that you climbed and scrambled to get those shots.

I would love to visit Alberta someday soon. Would love to do some photography and hunting there.

The FZ30 should arrive this afternoon and I am eager.

best wishes, O
Hello again...I posted a shot of the tele 1.7 add on, the one made for the FZ 30 by Panasonic, and I'm going to post a picture of it here too. I will add that it would be good to take thekman's advice seriously, and consider where and when you can get your best wildlife shots. It can be done with very acceptable results, even when the light is poor, as is demonstrated by my bighorn sheep shots. It gets dark very early up north here in the mountains, and I took those in overcast light, with the sun going down quickly. It stretched the limits for sure, but you can still pull it off. I wish tho, that I had had the foresite to bring a tripod, even my little mini would have been good. The low light forces a slower shutter speed, and that's where this camera shines IMO, allowing the IS to rescue the shot even tho low shutter speeds are in play. Another suggestion, shoot in burst. I forget the setting, but typically I shot a group of six at a time, and tho they were handheld I got quite a few really nice ones. Due to the variables mentioned, not all were keepers, naturally. And of course keep in mind I used the 1.7X converter. Which, under those light conditions made these shots even less likely to come out as clean as they did. So be optimistic... even tho these beasts (around here anyway) are more easily found around sunset, know you can still get some good shots with the 30. Here's a quick look at the 30 with the Lumix1.7X DMW-LT55
Attached Images
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote