Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

Hi all,

I would like to buy an FZ5.I have been testing the FZ4 for couple of weeks. I like that camera for its low size and weight, but I have serious problem with focusing capabilities of the FZ4. Especially in low light conditions, the focusing area changes from the spot to a big rectangle and the camera typically chooses for focusing the outer range of the rectangle - for example if I try to focus on a head of a person, the camera likes a very smallpiece of the background on the range of the area and focuses on the background.I have seen the same problem with focusing on a far horizont - the camera was not able to focus even in very good light conditions. And more - the "landscape" scene mode claims that is should lock the focus on infinity but it does not.
Please, does anybody know if the FZ5 is better in this area than FZ4?

And is the Canon S2 IS as good in focusing as the people say in theirrewiews?

Thanks for your info

Martin (CZ)

martind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:25 PM   #2

All ultra zoom digcams, including the fz series struggle, in low light particularly at higher zooms. Nature of the beast. The fz4 and fz5 are essentilally identical except for resolution, sound, and lcd size.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:08 AM   #3

Yes, thats true. But the Canon S2 IS is equipped with a simple manual focus option, which makes it possible to override the cam-software Also some Fuji cams (5500 etc) do have this option. This isnĀ“t hard to implement and I would like Panasonic to improve this on a FZ6?

By the way, any new rumours about a FZ6??
Frankyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4

There is no manual focus on my FZ5, although I wish there was. I have problems with the focus at high magnifications. I'm going to try spot focus mode tomorrow and see if that will help a bit. I don't think we will see manual focus on the FZ6, or whatever comes next. Panasonic would rather have you buy an FZ 20 or 30 for that.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote