Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:45 AM   #1

How often do you FZ5 owners use the lens hood that comes with the camera?

I'm still waiting for UPS to bring me my FZ5, but somehow I already have a feeling I won't be using the hood very much. Does it really make a difference in certain shooting conditions?
makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:44 AM   #2

I don't think many ownersuse the lens hood, but it would be useful in bright overhead sun particularly if the sun is between the lens and the subject.

The lens hood sleeve is used a lot , it contains the 55mm thread to which one may screw a skylight/UV filter thus giving the Leica lens 24/7 protection. I've also sanded off approx 1/6 inchfrom the front of the sleeve so bringing the extended lens closer to the filter, you will see there is a lot more thread than you actually need. But go carefully and don't take too much off if you should take this course of action.

ozbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

The lens hood is just something else to carry around. I don't. I have used it a couple of times to keep rain off the lens. On the other hand, as Phil mentioned, the lens hood adapter is very useful for attaching add-on lens. Many people keep the adapter and a uv filter on at all times for lens and lens housing protection. A metal 55mm multicoated uv filter will also provide metal 55mm female threads on the front for otherlens attachment,which is much preferred to the plastic stock adapter threads. If you are interested in wide angle and tele converters, see http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htmfor a more thourough fz5 adapter modification.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote