Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:20 PM   #1

I've been reading a ton of reviews and I haven't seen very many bad reviews. Are all camera reviewers sort of soft when it comes to reviewing cameras? All I can find is good things...

If you know of a really bad review, show me!
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:23 PM   #2

Well, it doesn't pay to make a bad product, so most companies try to make their cameras as good as they can (making them affordable for the target buyers) in the time they have. Because of this, the reviews won't be *bad*. I've seen reviews that were much worse than others for different cameras: a 2.5/5 on one camera and a 4.5/5 on another camera by the same reviewer. But like I said, these cameras are built to be "good."
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:37 AM   #3

Maybe you just have to read a bit more carefully. If it's a review of a nasty cheap camera that takes awful pictures, perhaps it's not the worst cheap nasty camera in its class. That means it gets a good review.

For some of us (all of us on this forum?) nasty cheap cameras just aren't on the radar, but some friends of mine want cheap and small and seem willing to live with the awful results.

As one friend said "I take all my snaps when drunk, so what do I care!". Let's just say he's not aspiring to photographic excellence. :-)
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:50 AM   #4

You should also read the user reviews as well. You get many poor ones, but if your read between the lines you can sort out the BS ones, and get alot of great information overall.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5

I agree with BobC. User reviews are very helpful. Forums like the ones here at Steve's are great places to get feedback about particular models. I like professional reviews for technical data and I pay close attention to their sample shots and stuff like that. I like user reviews because they are written from the hands-on perspective of newbie and ordinary users and address oddball issues that pros may not even recognize are stumbling blocks to the rest of us.

I also think professional reviewers try to be honest but have to be careful about what they say and how they say it - otherwise manufacturers will be reluctant to provide cameras to them for review purposes. I speak as one who has published several book reviews so I understand some of the professional relationship dynamics involved in the review process. Regular camera users have bought their cameras so they can afford to be blunt at times when pros may need to be diplomatic. Having said that, I also agree with Will's opinion that most manufacturers are trying to put out decent products. It does not pay them in the long run to produce junk.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote