Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:19 AM   #1

Just bought my FZ30 and need a good noise reduction software. Which is better Neat Image, or Noise Ninja?
tony3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:16 AM   #2

I did a lot of experimentation with both and they pretty much do the same thing. I prefer Noise Ninja because it's easier to use and therefore quicker. I almost had the boss at work order a number of licenses of Neat Image though because it was so much cheaper (if you get 5 licenses it's less than half the cost of Noise Ninja), but soon found out that Photoshop CS2 had a built in filter called Reduce Noise which wasn't quite as good, but good enough.

When using any of the noise reduction software on photos from the FZ30, I recommend focusing more on the color noise than the luminosity noise. If you remove too much luminosity noise the picture starts to look flat and blurry, and sometimes like a paint filter was applied to it. Removing the color noise though can actually bring out detail, and once the color noise is gone the remaining luminosity noise looks more like natural film grain. You don't really need to apply additional sharpening with these photos typically, but sometimes it doesn't hurt.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:41 PM   #3

Hi Tony

Not that I really use NR software much but I've tried both and personally I find Neat Image easier to use.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:49 PM   #4

Tony, I have both but have used Noise Ninja the most, probably because it has a plug-in for Photoshop CS2. And as Corpsy indicated, I've had better results using just the color noise remover. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:15 PM   #5

Neat Image also comes as a plug-in. They keep improving both and it is hard to tell which is really better at any given time. Noise Ninja won by a hair in the tests I've seen. But I think technique is more important than the program since they are so close in capabilities.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote