Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:29 AM   #11

Hopefully the new noise algorithm won't take away too many details! Otherwise a good lens would make no sense.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:11 AM   #12

Noise algorithms are not the only way to prevent noise. Take a larger sensor for the same number of pixels or the same sensor size for fewer pixels and there will be much less noise that needs to be processed.
When we look at dslr pics like that one

one has to admit the combination of high-resolution, high zoom-power, sharpness AND smoothness is not a phantasy. It can be done. The R1 performs very well in that respect as well, save for that zoom-power that is.

I also would not give up my fz30 for it nonetheless. I don't see the two as competitors though. The completely different zoom layout make them almost different species, IMO. Giving away one for the other would mean to change one's way of composing pictures quite fundamentally.
I'd love to own both fz30 and r1 (or the smaller version with similar capabilities that I described earlier...yeah dream on!...), but sadly that's leagues out of my range

Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:08 PM   #13

Fz30 and noise, this topic is everywhere . When you don't have "enought" light don't take photos in iso 400 or buy tritop and make beautiful photographs with iso 80-100 during complete night . Simple.

PS. Or you can buy Canon 20D for hmmm "SOME" money and don't complain for noise. Something like 3 to 7 times more expensive than Fz30 to have the same optics without noise :?... and don't go for mountain trip without someone who will be carry your lenses :-)
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote