Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1

I have been recently looking at a couple and I like the Idea of a Quick removable base for starters..

Is "Bogen" a good line? Looking at the 3001 tripod and the 3030 pan/tilt head..

very reasonably priced...
markstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:32 AM   #2

I am no expert, but being that nobody has replied, I will put in my 2 cents (with inflation it is probably more like 10 bucks - but who's countin'....). Bogen is a good company, but the Bogens I own are big n heavy. If you want to take it outdoors, the best is Gitzo, of course it is the most expensive. There is a brand called Manfrotto, they look good. I have a fairly cheap Canon monopod that I use when I take out my FZ30. @ home n in the studio I use my bogens, very good but heavy and "Klutzey". As with anything it is what you need it for. Tripods are a hard thing to shop for, unless you go into a store. If you are an outdoor photographer, go for the Gitzo. There might be other rival companies but like I mentioned I am not that knowledgeable with the newer tripod companies. If you can afford it, go gitzo, if not, you gotta pick some other forum members. Hope I was helpful. Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to post pictures (I love pictures, it's why I became a photographer!!!!)
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:38 AM   #3

The B/M line of tripods are excellent choices for the money and the 3001 is a good tripod.... If you usea tripod for varios things like macros and low angle shots you may want to look at the pro version the position possibilities with the 3001 pro is amazing.

If you may need a taller tripod look at the 3021 pro

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4

One option that I came across is a company called amvona. I came across them on ebay where they had a ton of models available in auctions. I have purchased two tripods from them. The better of the two is the AT 828BL

that I got for about $60 if I recall right.

I first purchased a cheaper model from them because I was dubious of the quality an had read very little about them in photo circles online.

The difference in price between their ebay auctions and their online site vary widely and I can't really see a reason to buy directly from them on their main site as there are certainly bargains to be had on ebay. As far as I can tell, both of my tripods were brand new boxed.

I was very pleased with the build quality of them and the ebay price couldn't be beat. Some of the few feedbacks I read complained of the wieght but I didn't really find them overly heavy. They are very solid.

The other model I bought was of the more pan/tilt variety and is good overall, but I love the ballhead model linked above. Later, I even bought a camera case from them on ebay and was pleased with that too (although the wife claimed it smelled of evil, but that disappated after a few days).
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:14 PM   #5

I've been very happy with this set I purchased from B&H Photo for my FZ20

3001BPRO Tripod Legs (Black)
488RC2 Midi Ball Head with Rapid Connect

sprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:26 PM   #6

Hi, I'm also going to buy some tritop, but something light which can I take for my mountain trip... max 2kg...max. It should have also minimum hight like 30cm... I was looking for somthing like that but I can find only crap...
kreciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:53 AM   #7

I just recently got a Manfrotto monopod. It doesn't provide the all-around stability as a tripod but would be ideal for hiking and provides much better stability than hand-held. Very light, sturdy and expandable.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote