Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:19 AM   #11

I love #3 & 4. The leaves look gorgeous.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:47 PM   #12

Very interesting. I think I prefer polarized, at least on the close-up. I don't use a polarizer much but this comparison shows it to good advantage. Thanks for posting.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:30 PM   #13

Really impressed with how well shots 3 & 4 compare to the original non polarised ones.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:35 PM   #14

rduve wrote:
squirl033 wrote:
interesting effects. the polarizer didn't darken the sky as much as i'd expect. judging from the shadows in the pictures, it looks like the sun was in front and a bit to the left for #1 & 3; the leaves appear almost backlit. the other shots, 2 & 4, the sun angle looks lower and more to the left...

As far as I recall the influx of light was quite similar with me shooting straight up and having the sun to the left at about a 45 degree angle, but I might have turned the camera vertically. So I am not sure. In any case, when properly adjusting the filter, the sky suddenly turned darker and the leaves became deeply saturated and almost orange. Interesting effect which I had previously not experienced. This is a linear polarizer by the way, which works just fine, John.
Thanks Rainer seems to indicate to me linear is the way to go

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:41 PM   #15

I've got a circular polarizer for my FZ-10 and the results, although noticeable, are not quite impressive. I shall post pics later on.

And yes, I wasn't sure at the time I bought it if my camera accepted linear polarizers, but now I know it does. :angry:
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:32 PM   #16

This is the type of results I was expecting when I bought my polarizer (what I remembered from my long-ago 35 mm days), but it doesn't have even half this effect. It's a cheap circular polarizer, so is the difference between linear and circular or is it the difference between one that cost $20.00 and one at $100?

WhatIS the difference between a linear and a circular polarizer?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:31 PM   #17

The polarizer I used in these pictures is the linear polarizer from Raynox. Not expensive at all. I think I got it in a set with a UV lens for $25 or so. I wonder if results with the a circular polarizer would be different. I have a 72 mm circular polarizer to attach to the front of my Raynox DCR 2200. I'll take some comparison shots next time.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:40 AM   #18

mtngal wrote:
WhatIS the difference between a linear and a circular polarizer?

Ira Tiffen, of the Tiffen filter company, wrote an article describing different filters that is worth bookmarking:

In it, he explains the difference between circular and linear polarizers thus:

"Certain camera optical systems employ internal surfaces that themselves polarize light. Using a standard (linear) polarizer will cause the light to be further absorbed by the internal optics, depending on the relative orientation. A Circular Polarizer is a linear one to which has been added,on the side facing the camera, a quarter wave "retarder." This "corkscrews" the plane of polarization, effectively depolarizing it, eliminating the problem. The Circular Polarizer otherwise functions in the same manner."

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:20 AM   #19

Polarizer IS effective in any FZ camera, mainly a Linear good one (effectiveness depends on sun position) , linear are more effective than circular, Linear is cheaper, circular are mandatory to SLR with optical viewfinders, for FZ linear are perfect one's ans cheaper. I recommend the very best one from B+W MRC F-PRO series. keep away from china ones...(and those "made in japan" really made in china) Go to high- end brands like B+W,Heliopan, Rodenstock (for that order of preference for me), remember that You have a Leica Lens !

...and, by the way those are the brands that PRo's I know and read aboutwith many years of experirience use for some reason...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:28 AM   #20

I have been told that a linear polariser will render the auto-focus useless. Is this true? (FZ20)

I bought a Hoya cir-pol, and the results, whilst noticable, don't seem to be as pronounced as I recall them to be with film.

jchad is offline   Reply With Quote