Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:19 PM   #11

Thank you Sven

I must invent some portable object capable to bring upwardsthe onboard FZ20 flash light which will be then bounced down (macros).

A white bristle paper fixed to the hotshoe (by means of two cuts in the paper) is already very good:

1) it smoothens shadows
2) with Auto WB (not flash) indoor it gives a lil warm hue which is better than the blue cast of Auto WB indoor (without paper I'd use Flash WB)
3) the diffusion through the paper completely abolishes the black shadow curve at the bottom of the frame which is caused by the Panasonic Hood when in place: even in close-ups both the hood shadow and even the mere darkening of the lower part of the frame totally disappears.

If you photograph a very reflective surface, the spot-like reflection of the normal on-board flash will become a large rectangle (the paper) and this might be the only CON with that of a minimal loss of light (in macro close up I d use minimum flash power, whereas with the diffusing paper I use it nearly at average power).

But I haven't had time to test this with on fiels macros, and I am sure that bouncing is far better than diffusing !
(Both from Tchuanye's results and for what I have read in web pages).

But external Flashes are large and I must minimize space wastes in the excursions.

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote