Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:53 PM   #1

Am going to guy a FZ30 in a few days... would like some suggestions as to what are some basic accessories that will make the camera easier to use and produce technically improved pics. I am en experienced amatuer but not a Pro by my judgement. I do not have unlimited funds so please include what will serve me for the next several months while I get experience with the camera. Thanks in advance. This is a very helpful Forum....
reklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:40 PM   #2

none of these will give you 'technically improved' pics, that's up to you, but these will provide you with the essentials to start out with...

first, a bigger memory card and a spare battery. the memory that comes with the FZ's is woefully inadequate - i'd suggest, at a minimum, a 512MB hi-speed (60x or better)card; for the FZ30, with its larger file sizes, 1GB would probably be even better, but if money is tight, a 512 would be enough to start, and can be had for around $30 from Newegg.com. a spare battery is almost essential - the last thing you want is to have a dead battery and no spare when that one great shot of the day presents itself.

beyond that, i'd invest in a UV/skylight filter to protect the lens. there have been threads here discussing the need for that, but on any camera as expensive as the FZ's with non-replaceable lenses, i figure $20 or so for a lens protector is cheap insurance. at some point, you may also want a polarizer, which is very useful for a number of reasons, and can also be had for around $20.

Down the road, as you can afford it, i'd add a tripod, if you don't already have one, and if you want to expand your range of opportunities, perhaps a good close-up lens, and maybe a wide-angle or telecoverter....and a bag to hold the goodies in!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3

The only thing I would add is a linear polarizer.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote