Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Well, after much flip flopping between the Canon S2, the FZ5, the FZ20, and the FZ30; I have purchased the 30. The posts here along with reviews here and at other sights were a big help. Like others, I kept reading about the noise issue (and being a newbie had to educate myself as to what that even meant) and had some concerns.

This is a big jump, as I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 4800. It takes beautiful pictures, and the macro mood is incredible; but I wanted something to really learn on and there was little in the way of any real control on it. You could select scene modes, but that was about it.

So now comes the learning curve. About 20% to 25% of pictures are unusable because of wrong settings (ie forgetting to change white balance from flash to what ever), or blurring due to user error (that would be error ID 10 T, put them together to get ID10T or IDIOT - that's me :?). But I am sure am enjoying this camera.

So thanks for all the input you gave to this lurker. I might get brave enough to post a few of my feeble attempts at picture taking, who knows.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2

Welcome, Vol Fan, to the forum

Post away!

No need for a kevlar vest here! :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

If I could suggest something....Put the camera on P mode and change 1 or 2 settings a day.

Do the first week or so outdoors in pretty good light until you get an idea of what the camera can do.....its an amazing camera..

Not as good indoors but with a flash it should hold its own.

After you see the great photos the camera can take in program mode you can move on to manual settings to see if you can improve on that, maybe yes ...maybe no.

I really think a lot of the bad pictures people get are because they try to force the camera to do something it can not do.

And I do not think its just beginners that have that problem...people say my other camera did this and this camera should also do it....the camera will take great photos if you allow it to do so.

Someone said its a very smart camera....and I agree

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:28 PM   #4

Yeah, I am pretty much leaving it in the "P" setting, but I am dabbling with a few things here and there. I will play with the scene modes at times, and I use the Shutter Priority mode when shooting at my jiu-jitsu classes (and for my kids upcoming soccer season I am sure it will come in handy).

I am learning all the time. I am a technology/gadget/pc geek at times. Working my way through a large instructional on photoshop. Put out by Adobe, called Photoshop 7 Classroom in a Book. Comes with a cd with pictures (starting and ending) so that you can work along with each lesson. View the ending pic, then open the starting pic, work through the lesson, see how close you get, rinse and repeat.

I have captured some nice images from the birth of my brothers first child, praise services at our church, youth meetings (I am a youth pastor :?). They are good enough for my personal photo collections, but I want to learn to use this camera to its full potential.

If I find time between work, youth pastoring, raising 3 sons, training jiu-jitsu, and trying to occassionally eat and sleep; I may look into some photo courses here at UT, Knoxville.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote