Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:25 PM   #21

Pana still have the LC1 up for sale on their online site - that is a different cam to the L1 - the LC1's a 2/3 CCD 5MP fixed lens 28-90 f2.0-2.4 digicam but they do look pretty similar.. the DMC-L1 being the new flagship cam in Pana's range.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:15 PM   #22

I now understand the wave of Digilux 2 and LC1 cameras hitting Ebay,there are currently more of these on offer than FZ5 or FZ20. Of course the prices of those highend models will fall quite rapidly because the L1 will outshine them all.

Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:33 PM   #23

I wonder if I'm the only one that's having these thoughts now that I've had a few days to process what little we know about the LC1...

I'm tempted to let the first variation of Panny DSLR float by me knowing it's their first model. Much like many FZ20 owners have passed on upgrading to the FZ30. There will invariably be lessons learned on their first endeavor and I would rather not pay a premium to help them find them out. Kind of like not buying the first year of a new model car because you know they haven't worked all the bugs out yet.

Yes, much of it is based on the Oly 330 but much of it is not and even if you look at the Oly 330, I have yet to see any actual images from that AND the 330 has to make many people who could have just recently purchased the E-300 regret their purchase.

Buying digital cameras is always a game of "what's next around the corner" but this is a monumental moment that gives me added pause even after happily buying the FZ30 in just over a year after buying the FZ20. Of course, price hasn't been announced and that could make my decision very, very easy.

I'm confident that the LC1 will be a good camera and, more importantly, a fun camera to use. But I'm wondering how much better the second one will be.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:19 PM   #24

It is not often that a company releases a replacement model that is not better than the model it is replacing. Ifa company continually releasednew modelsthat were not, in most part, better than the old model then that company would go out of business quite quickly. If you are always waiting to purchase because you think the next model might be better then your missing out on the enjoyment of photography. It is quite simple, if the new model has enough improvements and new functionality over your existing camera that it would make the photography experience easier and more enjoyable for you then buy it, if you can afford it. If the limitations of your existing camera do not really effect you enjoyment of taking pictures and the only reason you want a new camera is to say you have the latest and greatest then you probably do not need to upgrade. For me, I am an FZ10 user and I have felt no need to upgrade to the FZ20 or FZ30 because the enhancements to these models would not impact or enhance myday to day picture taking in any significant way.

DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:49 PM   #25

that's certainly true but with the FZ's the price and the fact that I could carry a lot of my accessories over made the jump fairly easy. The L1 is a much bigger jump which gives me more pause.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:06 AM   #26

Well Harj. I haven't seen anything form any camera manufacturer to make me want to upgrade from the FZ10. It takes a long time before something comes along and I'm very patient :-). The R1 looked good,but not so sure. Said I probably would never go back to an SLR or a DSLR. I might have to eat my words M8t :-). This is a gorgeous camera IMHO. Too early to tell for sure, but man it looks sweet. Be like going back to a Canon FD mount but digital and look at the lens line up that will come :shock:.

When Panasonic started saying about a DSLR, I thought, hmmm, interesting.........but. Well, I've changed my mind completely on that. Send one down for macro tests will ya :-)

All the best Harj, never mind the looks, worry about what will come out of it and its going to be impressive IMHO.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:42 PM   #27

As for a $2000 range for pricing:

As someone who's interested in buying a first DSLR I have to tell you the DMC L1 sure looks appealing...so far.

That said, since this camera has a lot in common with the Olympus E-330which retails for a grand, and since Panasonic will undoubtedly add a few more features to it and in the process make itto be competive with something else ( read EOS 30D),then I thinkthe L1 will come in around $1,300 for the body and maybe another $400-$500 for the lens. Other than that they'll probably hang themselves with it.

I'm only a casual shooter (vacations and the like) and have had my Canon F1N since it came out in '80or'81 (I think). So with this in mind I laugh to myself when people say this or thatdigitalcamera is too loud or too heavy. I'm thinking my F1N with motor-drive with batteries must weigh as much as a sugar cane five pounder.:-)

Just think, I was waiting on the EOS 30D when I ran across the L1 on the 4th of Marchand I may be waiting on the EOS 30D in the end, who knows.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:27 AM   #28

There's a thread similar to this one on the Panasonic DSLR forum. The information over there is that Panny may be setting its sights too high, which would be a shame (and a disaster for them). It looks like the L1 - body only - may be about $1300-1400 USD. Add a Leica lens to that and you're looking at more money than I can pay, even though I'd love to get this camera.

I hope we're wrong and that Panny markets this camera against the Canon 300D (I think that's the Digital Rebel#) or the Nikon 50D. It's probably too much to hope that it would be priced against the Digital RebelXT or the Pentax *istDS. I'm sure the L1 would clean up in those price ranges and I would snap it up in a heartbeat. If it's significantly above $1,000 USD, though, I'll probably have to pass it up and go for Canon, Nikon or Pentax.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:14 PM   #29

If you want an idea of what it will cost go look at the price of the good OLY 4/3 lenses and the Pana lens will probably be more as it has IS plus an aperture ring. It is going to cost big $$$$. Of course I am just guessing.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote