Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:22 PM   #1

After much thought and consideration, and more than a little hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth, I've finally decided to upgrade from my beloved FZ20. No, I'm not waiting for the FZ40 that may never appear, and no, I'm not getting in line for an overpriced DMC-L1. I weighed a lot of factors, including proven technology, image quality, lens selection and price, against what I want my next camera to do. I decided I didn't want 7.5Mp on a 4/3 sensor, and the next step up had to be APS (full-frame sensors are just a bit too pricey for my budget!). So... I broke down and pre-ordered a Canon 30D. It's basically a mildly updated 20D - 8.2Mp, APS sensor, with what is widely held to be the best image quality in its class, but with a few relatively minor tweaks and additions. It's more camera than I need right now, but will offer me plenty of room to grow and expand, and where it only took me a year to start bumping into the FZ20's limitations, I expect it will be a long time indeed before I run across anything I want to do photographically that I can't do with the 30D.

Now... lest some of you worry that I won't be posting here anymore, or that I've abandoned my Panasonic, rest assured my FZ20 still has a lot of life left in it, and will still see its share of use. We all know what the FZ20 can do, and it's far too good a camera to let it sit collecting dust, so I'm sure I'll continue to post FZ20 pics on this forum, especially once the weather gets nicer and I have more opportunities to get out and about - only now it won't be my only camera! In any case, the 30D won't even hit the dealers' shelves for a month or so, and it'll likely take me a while after that to get halfway proficient with it, so the FZ will remain my primary camera for a little while yet. It will be interesting to see how the images from the Canon look alongside my best FZ20 shots; I'll post some side-by-side images for comparison.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:46 PM   #2

Same move I have made squirl. I bumped up against the limits of the FZ20 fairly soon (for what I wanted). I haveused mine for a year also and I have taken some pics with it that I felt were very,very nice....a lotof which I have not posted.

The FZ20is a great camera used within what it is capable of doing and never has missed a beat when it comes to functions. Takes great closeups and does good on landscapes,shots at BD parties etc;

I think the Canon 30D and the FZ20 will make a good set.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:49 PM   #3

We will hold you to your second paragraph

Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:01 PM   #4

Squirl, I too have moved up to the Canon 20D and have not regreted it. You will have a fine pair at your finger tips. You already have a keen eye so you will do very well with your new addition.

Your idea to post side by side shots of your FZ vs. 30D is a great idea. KennethD and I are getting together to do that very thing as well. Should be fun.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5

And I'm sure it was after a lot of due diligence and 'soul-searching', Squirl... But, then again, that's the beauty of the FZ's line - it allows one to learn and grow in our own experiences and capabilities until we recognizethat our experiences, talents and capabilitiesare now being limited by the current system! I'm sure that you now have an intimate knowledge of when and where the FZ20 is strong, quite capable and appropriate but now its time to add to your arsenal and grow into other areas and opportunities that only dSLRs can offer.

You've been a strong contributor and source of great insights and encouragement here - to a lot of us! Please do keep posting here and offer us your valued insights on your growing into and learning curve with the new toy when it arrives!

After all, photo shooting addictions cover the gamut of the idle, once and again on holidays to the hardcore. For those that are closer to, and have the stronger urge for, ever improving quality, your continued opinions and insights as you learn the ins and outs of the new addition will be very much welcome and appreciated!
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:56 AM   #6

Good luck Squirl....
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:03 AM   #7

I understand your decision. I'm starting to look ahead to getting a DSLR myself. I look forward to seeing your comparison shots and reading about your experiences. You've certainly mastered the FZ20. I'm still working at it.

The FZ20 is a great camera for learning photography. I'm glad you'll still be packing it for those occasions when you don't want to carry around an entire DSLR kit.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:26 AM   #8

u - go - bro....
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote