Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:51 PM   #41

Well JimC, you could alway try the Yashica Electro 35 CC. That's a NICE very COMPACT rangefinder (might be my favorite camera - ever). That has a 35mm focal length and an f1.8 lens... Yeah it's a little dark (laughs) but that one cost me $36 (though I got really lucky on evil-bay on that one... Sold "as is" but it came in excellet, fully functional condition. Just popped a battery in and voila! Those go for around $200 fully functional if you can find them...)

I see you're another available darkness shooter too! Just like me :G
I want a camera that can take perfect pictures at 1/60 in total darkness.

Another good 70's rangefinder that I don't have is the Konica Auto S3. If I were to get yet another one of these babies that would be the one. It has a 38mm 1.8 Hexagon that has insane resolution specs:

Compact 35 Rangefinder with 38/1.8 lens, focusing to 36" The six element four group lens is an exceptional performer, called "one of the best semi-wide angle optics of its speed we have ever tested" by Modern Photography. Amazingly, ALL apertures had center values between 64 to 82 lines per mm.

Center res at 64lpm at f1.8? Now there's truly a "Leica-like" lens.
- Oh, who am I kiddin' I'll own one of these eventually too. :?
NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:29 AM   #42

This was very inspiring, Nick,and made me pick upa 1975Yashica MG-1 from ebay for $16. Only thing is the lens is not quite as fast, only 2.8. But that suffices for most of my purposes. It takes nice pics. Check out this link: http://www.img.100megs28.com/mg01.htm. I'll be scouting for more deals. I'd love to find the Yashica Electro 35with the 1.4 lens for a reasonable price. I lost the auction on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1. Looked very clean. I am starting a little camera collection I guess. On the digital front I now have the Panasonic FZ30, for compact purposes the Fuji F11, and my DSLR is the KM 5D (with a 1.7 50mm lens for low light). Now, I'll be looking out for bargains on classic rangefinders and SLR's just for the fun of it. My dad has a whole basement full of telescopes in Germany that he gets on ebay. I guess it's in the genes.

PS: good to hear from you again, Nick. You left these forums right around the time that I joined. One of the charismatic originals on here.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:34 AM   #43

Hi Nick!very happy tosee you again!!!

I´m a daily user of digital and in my work (dentist, mouth macros with FZ20), Very funny, learned a lot.But now I´m going blackguards in time and up in quality construction. i´m amazed by the feeling of metal ,good glass and manual rings that makes me think, what i´m going to shoot, like Ernst sad"Leica, schmeica. The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." (Ken Rockwell page):?

Last week I lost 2 bidsof 2 Y GSN, don´t want to pay over $60, I´m in Argentina and the shipment is very expensive. LUCKY for ME!!!! I was making a deep research in range finders, all the cameras you mentioned and a bit more, and found here in Buenos Aires in Mint condition, Fullyfunctinal and VERY well built ,the Olympus 35-SP with a42 mm Zuiko 1,7 "G" (7 elements in 4 groups:shock . Can run FULLY auto and Totally manual but with a clear needle in th viewfinder readying EV numbers, that are matched in the lens rings!! EEEEasy, and you can make SHIFT change of aperture and speed combinations, just moving the rings together, auto flash (like Minoltamatic´s 9)and Plus!! has SPOT METERING ! think this is unique in range-finders.

There is a guy on ebaysailing the black model in $450!! (paid it $60 ji ji!!)

complete review http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35SP.html

:Gat laaast!!! need to tell somebody that can understand me!!!!

Moncho ( Federico Magnasco ) http://www.abba.smugmug.com born of my 2!!
Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:59 PM   #44

Well written and brought me back to the old days. Henri Cartier Bresson shot a fixed focal length camera but please don't discount the adjustment and manipulation of the negatives and paper in the dark room. PP is the replacement and in my view just like the dark room accounts for 60% of the final product.

I still have my Nikon FTN with a 1.4 lens speeds from 8 seconds to 1000th and time exposure, ASA/ISO form 12 to 3200 and weighing 1 pound . I will never get rid of it. I just had the seals replaced and there are no more parts to be had. So it has to last me another 25 years. God willing.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:54 PM   #45

Today I stumbled over these two series:

"The Freeing: Lens"
1 2 3 4

"The Freeing: Yashica"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Just to stop that urge to deconstruct your Yashicas which hides deep in all of us

I guess this hasn't been a rangefinder, but still it was a Yashica once.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote