Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Simon over at dpreview has just posted the FX01 review - a quick quote from the conclusion:

".....But whereas other recent Lumix models have been so noisy that the problem threatened to overwhelm all the good stuff, here the noise is only a serious problem in daylight at ISO 400....."

"Noise aside, the FX01 is a real gem of a camera, and one I shall be very sorry to give back, mainly because using a compact with a 28mm equiv. lens is like a breath of fresh air compared to the 35 to 38mm wide end found on most models, which simply doesn't allow you to capture the whole scene in a single shot........But in the final analysis the FX01 sits in a class of its own as a truly pocketable camera with a high quality 28mm equivalent lens, with image stabilization thrown in to sweeten the deal....."

"If the wide lens and compact size are important to you, the FX01 is a no-brainer, and even if they aren't, this is a camera it's easy to recommend - especially if you don't really need high ISO performance. I liked the FX01 a lot - a lot more than I expected to, and it only misses a Highly Recommended thanks to the mediocre low light performance."

Looks like Pana are on the right track with FX01, although manual controls would have been seriously cool.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links