Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:54 PM   #1

As a fz20 owner who is thinking of upgrading to the fz30 my question to you clever guys especially those with the z20 and z30 or those of you that have used both is
Will I see an improvement in picture quality with the 30 over the 20

I know of the other improvements ie speed ease of use focusing etc but are the overall pictures any better than those taken with the fz20. I will be working at no more than 12in x 10in
Thanks guys in advance any help will be very much appreciated
sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:53 PM   #2

I have FZ20 but not FZ30. As I know the answer of the question is NO
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:00 PM   #3

i have the FZ20, and it's capable of excellent image quality. i do not have the FZ30.

that being said, and some of the FZ30 owners here may well disagree with me, i don't believe the FZ30 will give you better images... just bigger. it may be better in larger print sizes (i.e. 8x10 or larger), since it's 8Mp instead of 5, but aside from that, the image quality is, by all accounts, about the same.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:16 AM   #4

Hi folks, I am new to this forum-game, even so I am a member for quite a while - just cant get the hang of entering pictures.
Anyway to the question on hand, I have only the FZ30 and I doubt you would see an improvement in picture quality. Peruse tests for both of the cameras and if any of the added bits of the FZ30 seem to make it worth to spend money get it. But better wait until the next new version of the Panny appears - as usuall propably in July.
Moxi from Australia
Moxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:06 AM   #5

dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

Thanks for link Dissembled. It was really informative.

I am Fz20 owner and still really satisfied for its performance. It seems that both fz20 and fz 30 suffers for the same problems when ISO is set over 100. I have just ordered Metz Mecablitz 36 C-2 flash to get better indoor photos.

The picture quality was quite similar with both cameras. Maybe fz30 had little bit better photos in ISO 400 but I can´t say that they would be usable in any situation (its just better to lock ISO to 80 or 100 and go with that).

There was a big difference between fz30 and Rebel XT: Colour was much deeper and quality of the picture was a lot better with XT. But XT had a better quality glass in front of the camera. Maybe kit-lens would have been weaker.

My oppinion would be to stay with fz20 and wait for better camera to uppgrade. FZ30 feels better in hand and lens makes it to look more like DSLR but that isn´t enough to justify the uppgrade.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:02 PM   #7

The FZ30 has raw with the best cycle times for raw short of a DSLR. Raw isn't magic but does offer some advantages over JPG and TIFF for image quality. I also much prefer a manual zoom ring over electric. And the VGA movies on the FZ30 with manual zoom capability give decent movies. The little movies on the FZ20 aren't worth the trouble of taking them IMO.

On the downside you lose almost a full f-stop when zoomed. I find myself often shooting in burst with my FZ10 because f2.8 is marginal at 12X. I would have no choice with the FZ30 but to crank up the ISO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:17 PM   #8

I have both the 20 and the 30 and I would say the image quality are about the same. Added resolution should buy you marginal opportunities for larger prints. To me the value in getting the 30 were the features around image quality: fast startup time, manual zoom, flip out screen, wheels allowing on-the-fly exposure adjustments and improved rez on the EVF and LCD for more accurate manual focus. I also love the larger grip, it make a huge difference to me, personally.

With all quality aspects equal, these improvements made getting the shot easier and faster with nominal differents in the actual results. I would've been just as happy with the 30 if it were the same resolution as the 20 (maybe even moreso).

I have noticed that skin tones seem to be more accurate with the 30 but that could just be my impression and I do like the added crop area that 8mpx provides.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote