Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1

i don't want to post too many Canon shots on the Panny board, but since you've asked, here are some from this evening. these are why i wanted a DSLR... good as the FZ20 is, i could never get shots like this, because the FZ simply can't focus fast enough, or track a moving target... these were taken at dusk, using my 80-400mm lens at 400mm (equivalent to my FZ20 with the TCON-14B), 1/500 sec @ f9.0, ISO 640... if this rig will get shots like this at dusk, i can hardly wait to see what it'll do with good light! i've also noticed that the Canon has about as much noise at ISO 800 as the FZ20 at ISO 100... it's there, and in some instances, a pass through Neat Image may be warranted, but below 800, it's simply not a factor!

the blackbird and the cormorant were just icing on the cake for me.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

These are some fine photos. You're getting the hang of that new camera pretty quickly.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3

These shots are absolutely gorgeous, especially the first three. As you have said, there are advantages to DSLR's and these pics prove it.

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:19 AM   #4

Thanks for posting these - it just shows how much extra a larger sensor can bring to the "table so to speak".

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:29 AM   #5

Pana or not, these are great shots! Love the details and sharpness!
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:48 PM   #6

cool shots squirl

these slr cameras are very fast so i found out with my D50.

Admittedly I havent got a 400mm lens and i doubt if i will have one for some time to come but i have a 200mm lens which reaches no where as far has fz20 and tcon14b

but boy is it fast. now if i can get just close enough to the pesky birds around here maybe i can fi'm having some fun with the 18-55mm lens.

wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:38 AM   #7

Wow. Yes, indeed these aremost impressive! Keep 'em coming; seems to me if you continue topost shots from the pany, then a few now and then from the other camera should be allowable here. I think it's an interesting and worthwhile comparison.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:31 AM   #8

Very nice shots, Squirl033

EOS + good lenses (be them zoom or not) is warrancy of great quality.
FZ10-30 gave us the opportunity to make with reasonable expenses of money something LIKE pros can do with about 2000$.
There are fields in which Lumix can (nearly) reach dSLR quality, other when there is no comparison.

NOISE is a factor, although the recent trend is to minimize its impact on pics.
There are things which are really impossible to correct with PP, and noise is not one of these.
But in most of the cases even processing a pic through NR tools is not an easy thing at all (if one wants to do it well not removing detailed areas which must not).
IF FZ had a clean ISO 50 it would be better.
Noise and grain (and some softness) make it hard to use small 100% crops.
Resizing at half size or more, improves the apparent detail of pics.

On the other hand, the broader dynamic range, better color, and large sensibility and better quality do cost and also the camera and zoom have much more weight...

I am still deciding if I must consider between FZ40 and FZ30 or instead taking a 350D later this year after the degree.
Doing excursions I know what it means to have to carry a 400mm zoom and a WA with the camera while on trekking.

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9

I really appreciate you posting these images Squirrel, it helps me define in my mind the difference.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote