Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

I popped into a local camera store today as I've been thinkign of an upgrade to the FZ10 and thought I'd take a look at what they had to offer and managed to have a little play with the Sony R1. As a lot of you guys and girls know I'd love to see a Pana version of the R1 and I've been crossing my fingers that we do see something like it at some point.

First impression's were:

1. Size - a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Ergonomics were good - feels right in the hand. The lens doesn't extend at full zoom as I thought it would either.
2. Build Quality - was good as expected from Sony.
3. LCD/EVF - the EVF is good but not as good as the one on the FZ30' and the LCD is a fairly decent size and I think the same res as the '30. Don't like its location on the top of the cam though. Nice having a live histogram on a cam this size.
4. Controls - personally way too many buttons and some of them too small for my liking but the main ones are just were you want them.
5. Lens - very nice although not as sweet as the panaleica's! It takes 62mm filters and addons as standard.
6. No shutter noise - silent like all digicams.
7. Compact flash and Mem stick - Wish sony would just switch to SD cards.
8. No IS - a major no no but you do get pretty good ISO800-1600.
9. Flash shoe is just in the wrong place.

Overall, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would although I'll give it as miss. Now I just want Pana to pull their finger out and do something similar and I get one like a shot but the chances are they won;t as the L1 is due out in Sept.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:34 AM   #2

Thanks for the info.

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote