Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:22 AM   #11

After using a dslr for the last year, I've discovered auseful tipon ISO settings. If you shoot in RAW, you can overexpose a shot by a fair amount, and still back off the exposure when using the RAW convertor and not lose detail. This is much harder to do using jpg. Blown highlights in jpg's can be hard if not impossible to save detail. The advantage being that if you can back off the exposure when processing in RAW, the noise willthen be decreasedas opposed tounderexposing a photo, and then increasing the exposure. Thiswill increase the noise. I've shot many photos at iso 1600 overexposing in RAW intentionally, then decreasing the exposure when processing, and ending up with very clean images. I imagine using this method on the FZ30 while shooting in RAW would result in the same end result. This is one of the major advantages of shooting in RAW and using higher iso settings. This method would probably make the higher iso settings useable in the FZ30. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who could try this using the fz30..cheers...Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote