Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

For that matter, first ever Perigrin!

IHad the occasion to go to San Luis Obispo over the weekend for my wife's nephew's HS graduation. Cal Poly SLO had their freshmen orientation so we wound up getting a room in picturesque Morro Bay... thankfully! And, to top it off... super weather! :G

I spent Saturday morning out at Morro Rock, one of 13 extinct volcano cones in the area. This one is, I believe, is ~580' tall...

Had a blast with the Pelicans but I had read in the motel brochure about there being a mating pair of Perigrins nesting on the south or southwest face of the rock. So I drove around to near the jetty and found these locals setup and waiting...

They told me the eggs had hatched a few weeks earlier and everyone is waiting to take the inaugural photos of the fledgling. They anticipate taking to flight in about 20-days...

To find the nest, the BIF is about level with a reverse-L cut in the rock face. The nest is the large hole in the rock face just above the L-cut. (By the by, that's a 20D w/a 500mm f/4 prime (L and IS) and 1.4 TC -- how come my wife won't let get a setup like his...? Darn

After a while the Momma showed up for my FZ30 + TCON17 at 5-MP Extended Optical Zoom (15.3X in-camera crop for added reach to, w/TC1.7 -- ~26X or ~910mm reach) ;D

After a few hours, I was luckily able to catch both proud parents in a single image flyby of a High Speed Burst sequence... FZ30 at 3-MP EOZ + TCON17 (~1172mm) taken via handheld tracking w/my RDS...

They sure are fast... only wish they didn't stay so far away at the top of the rock... :sad:

I wound up w/over 2-GB of shots, went through my one, only battery and had to pack it in for the dayand am wading through them (FYI, the AF is apparently most affected by a low battery... :sad.

Guess I'll be busy for a few weeks. But the PP work, sunburn and OOF frustration was well worth it to add these rare, hard to get Raptors...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:49 PM   #2

very, very nice sequence of shots. beautiful views. thanks for sharing

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3

Very nice series. You did goooood.

roger (The Old Newbie)
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:51 AM   #4

Excellent series and a pleasure to view.

Mind you, I think the couple in No 4 were a bit careless with all you lot waiting with telescopic lenses :homey:
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote