Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:39 AM   #1

I have been considereing the pana fx01, but after looking at pbase.com samples, it seems that most of the pics taken in low lights that have people moving (like walking etc.) it is all blurred up. Is there an issue here? cause i want to use a low iso setting (80-100) as much as possible because tha camera begins to get noisy above that. Or should i just quit finding excuses to love the fx01 (wide angle, OIS, looks), and just get a Fuji F30?
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:08 AM   #2

Low light shots at iso80-100 without flash require slow shutter speeds resulting in subject motion blur. This is true of any camera not just the fx01. Increasing the iso increases the shutter speed which may or may not be fast enough to stop the action. The fx01 will go to iso1600 but the quality is limited to 4x6 prints. The f30is better than the fx01 at higher iso. Iflow light action shotswithout flash is of primary concern, I would get the f30.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:05 PM   #3

The advantage of OIS is that you can handhold at a lower shutter speed and still get sharp images. So a shot you could handhold at wide angle at 1/30 second you can handhold at about 1/5 or so and still have sharp. Of course anything moving is going to produce motion blur at low shutter speed. OIS keeps you from needing a tripod in many situations. Of course you can't freeze motion with a tripod either. Those pictures with the motion blur probably couldn't have been taken without OIS, a tripod or high ISO capability.

I personally prefer stabilization to the high ISO of the F30. But I don't tend to take a lot of limited light action shots without the flash. If you tend to shoot action in available light the F30 might be the better choice. It is thicker and bulkier though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote