Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1

.... that much of a departure from the FZ30?:?

Can this camera produce sufficiently superior results to the FZ30 to warrant waiting it's release here in the UK or should I consider the FZ30 now because of it's price and the fact that the price may drop further??

Also does anyone know the RRP and release date for the UK?
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2

The jury seems to be out on whether it's a significant upgrade over the FZ30 or not. For some just having ISO levels above 400 available is worth the upgrade. For others having a slower burst mode totally rules it out. Picture quality in the shots people have shown so far are getting mixed reviews, some think they're better (lower noise) than the FZ30, others say the pictures look to soft compared to the FZ30. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in the picture.

The higher ISOs are nice but I have yet to see anyone show sample shots using them in low light conditions, when you'd actually need 800 or 1600. All the samples have been in full daylight or indoors with a flash. For me that will be the deciding factor on if I upgrade or not, how well it does in low light, say among the trees near dawn or dusk. If it still has poor performance then I'll be looking at other options and keep the FZ30 for times when I need or want the big zoom in good light.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:15 AM   #3

I agree with the previous answer......the only thing I could add is the same things were said about the FZ20 and FZ30....so we will just have to wait and see.

If the picture quality of the FZ50 is as good as the FZ30 at 200 and below(and panasonic is claiming its better) and you have the higher ISOs for emergencies it seems it will be a great camera.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:59 AM   #4

Don't wait too long if you want to get an FZ30. In Australia at least, many shops (online and otherwise) have sold out and can't get any more. The only ones left are from the expensive shops (> AUD800). Waiting for the price to drop only works if they are still being manufactured, which they're not.

Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:32 AM   #5

If I did not have a FZ20 and wanted a high quality non-DSLR zoom camera, I would certainly look at the field present today.

A lot has changed since the intro of the FZ20 and FZ30 and I would seriously look at other zooms like the Canon S3 IS or consider buying a Nikon D50 used or refurbished and spend the real money on the Nikon 18-200 lens.

Another option is to buy a FZ20 used with some extras and see if you like the concept.

Nikonians dot org has used Nikon bodies and lenses

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:21 PM   #6

I just bought the FZ30. It is atried and tested camera with a good reputation.

I got the last one in the shop, though the owner thought they would be getting more (UK).

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:12 AM   #7

I for one have decided to wait for the FZ50 rather than snap up one of the last FZ30's in the shops here (Australia).

I know the FZ50 will be more expensive than the FZ30, and that the FZ30 will be unavailable soon (if it isn't already). I'm also completely unconvinced by the heavy noise reduction of the Venus III engine, so I don't believe the image quality of the FZ50 will be any better than the FZ30. It could easily be worse.

So, why do I want a FZ50?

TTL hot-shoe, custom setting (on mode dial), world time zone setting, programmable function button, builtin eyecup. I haven't fully compared the manuals for the FZ30 and FZ50 but I suspect a couple other firmware features have been improved too.

In short, a bunch of relatively small things, but things I want that the FZ30 doesn't have. (I'm not so fussed on the exact speed of the burst mode. I have an FZ10 already and I hardly ever use its burst mode.)

I also intend to experiment with taking all my FZ50 photos at 5MP, as I suspect that's the true resolution of the camera. That way I won't have to buy any 2GB memory cards!

Oh, and my budget this year can stretch to a Canon 30D + one decent lens (assuming I don't buy any non-photographic toys), but the dang things are just too heavy, and I treat my cameras too roughly (rain, snow, dirt, sun, sweat, etc), so I'm sticking to the FZ range. And what with air travel the way it is now, you probably have to consider any camera you take with you as "disposable". A 30D is clearly not disposable, but an FZ50? Assuming it's insured then maybe...
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote