Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:43 PM   #1

In a recent "head-to-head" comparison (1) of the FZ7, the Canon S3 IS and the Sony H5, the movie mode of the FZ7 was somewhat disparaged. In particular, it was said that the FZ7 had flawed video capture performance:
Interestingly, a continuity skip occurs in the Panasonic FZ7's recordingsat 640 x 480 at 30 fps that will cast this camera's hybridpotential into question. The highest quality shooting mode with the Sony H5 was not able to overcome the limitations found elsewhere with this digital camera's movie mode. The video results for the H5 display a tendency to create digital artifacts with moving subjects and a somewhat stuttering delivery when compared to the other two cameras, although this camera didn't have the major hiccupthat occurred with the FZ7.
Now, as a hybrid camera for my kids (and for me), I think that video capture performance is actually pretty important. And I like the WVGA capture mode that the FZ7 has. I know that the S3 IS's video capture is highly praised. But is there really an issue with the FZ7's movie mode?

Can any FZ7 owners who have shot a lot of video comment?
I'd appreciate it!

Best regards to all,

(1) See http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ead-Review.htm
wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2

I'm sorry to say that I don't qualify for having shot a lot of video. I have done only two or three. Each less then 10min in length. However, I did not see any issue with the ones I did. But then again, I didn't buy the camera to shoot video. It is nice to have, but I personally don't see me using it much.

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote