Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:24 AM   #11

Thanks, jota! I would have liked the shot to be a little lighter also, but it's pretty shaded on the deck. I do sometimes notice purple fringing on the very bright days (both with my FZ20 and my FZ7 - especially at full telephoto), but with some shots it's not a problem and others it is. I guess it just depends on how the light is hitting the subject at that time. I usually take tons of shots in hopes of getting just one or two good ones.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:43 AM   #12

Nice shot, Melissa. The chick-a-dee is very hard to get a good still shot of as it flitters about so much.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:32 AM   #13

Hi Gary, I just got my FZ7 this summer and have had pretty good luck with it. Here is one of a hummer I took in aperture mode. Seems sharp. (Hope it's okay to post my pic on this thread) Thanks, Donna
Attached Images
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:39 AM   #14

Keep your FZ-7. The votes coming in from users indicate they like the camera over other ones they have tried in the class. I have a famous UZI & spent a whole day doing a "shoot-off" comparison of UZI vs FZ-7. There's no doubt about some things - the amount of in-camera image processing going onin FZ-7 is way greater than what is going on with UZI. As a result UZI's give a smoother (perhaps more natural)PIX that lends itself to a wider range of post-processing than PIX from FZ-7. So what is goingon is true about what is being said about small sensors & noise etc.

For your purpose, I like the FZ-7 colors & saturation. These are fine. You need to learn the camera (this is true no matter which one you buy although I must admit that I always said about my UZI is that it is hard to get a bad shot). If you want better saturation use the menu settings &shoot at lower EV. If youare having trouble with focus (in low light) watch your shutter speed as FZ-7 priority is tooptimize on ISO. If you want less noise (& this is theb tricky one), then you have to traverse the ISO vs ambient light contour which you will only get a good feel for with some dedicated hands on practise (tough isnt it?).(On this last sentence I could write a book explaining what I think I see is going on. But it's something like.....when shooting in low light, one needs to select the right ISO for the available ambient light.....toolow & you will have noise & long shutter with attendant blur....too much & PIX is washed outwith loss of detail.)

Anyway, it is clear that relative to the competition, FZ-7 is very well liked. Check the user views for this camera onDPREVIEW &IMAGE RESOURCE for example. FZ-7 might even become another cult camera.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:14 AM   #15

check out the thread
FZ10 User Guide at the start of the Panasonic forum here
you will find it usefull even though its not your model of camera
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote