Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:46 PM   #1
Default New Camera: E-PL1 vs G2

Hello all. I am 16 and looking to get into photography beyond point and shoots. I have been doing tons of research and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two cameras: the Panasonic Lumix G2 and the Olympus PEN E-PL1. I need to keep the camera kit under $600, this is why these 2 have appealed to me. The E-PL1 is $430 in the kit with lens and the G2 is around $550 with lens. Size will not matter, so the E-PL1 doesn't necessarily win here, because I do not care and they are both relatively small cameras. I am seeing images from both and they both seem very good, but equal to my untrained eye. I am wondering which one you guys think is better, and if for a beginner, it will really matter. Also, is the viewfinder really a deciding factor? I have shot with LCD screens before and not had much of a problem. But everywhere I see, when I upgrade to better lenses, people seem to be saying A viewfinder is necessary. Is it? If I want the E-PL1 with a viewfinder, it will be above my budget. I will also need the camera to do at least one extended video, like 20-30 minutes. Will both of these cameras handle it? I will be interviewing someone, so it will be on manual focus and not have to move. Also, the focusing time of the E-PL1 is not a big issue, because I am sure it is much faster than anything I have used before and I can upgrade lenses and improve that. So to you experienced guys, which one is better for me; the G2 or the E-PL1?
Four-Thirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links