Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:16 AM   #1
Default Lumix G3 Macro

Hi all,

i'm new to the Dslr and interchangable lens cameras.

could some please tell me how to switch the macro on ?

as i only use on intelligent auto and sometimes i have trouble having close up pictures.

i have a 14mm to 42mm lens and a 45-200mm

grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:01 PM   #2

There is no macro/close-up mode in a micro 4/3 like a P&S, so you can't just get very close to a subject.

There should be a type of close-up mode in the menu as a type of SCN mode, but it's more for lighting and effect, not to actually get "closer".

The lenses have a minimum close focus distance. The 14-42 should be @12" and the 45-200 @39".

If you want to get closer or mimic the "macro/close-up" mode of a P&S, you will need a macro lens, extension tubes, an add on close-up lens, or diopters/close-up filters.

Be careful using the term "macro". True 1:1 macro or "lifesize" is roughly filling the entire frame with a US dime with a micro 4/3. A P&S macro is closer to 1:4 or 1/4 lifesize. If someone misunderstands the reference, we'll be suggesting gear way beyond what you are expecting.

A good +1 diopter/close-up filter added to your lenses will closely mimic the way you would use a P&S in macro/close-up mode, but you only add the diopter when you need to get closer than the lens normally would.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote