Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 5, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Downtown in Front, and Behind

GX7 and 7-14mm f4. This lens works very well with the Olympus E-M1 too, but I can see the differences in better defined corners with the GX-7 and the complete absence of fringing.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2014, 10:54 AM   #2

nice effect
cruchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:05 PM   #3

Hey Greg

Thats a nice shot... is that the ol' FT 7-14 or the Pana 7-14 ? How do you find the GX7 compared to the Em1 ?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4

Thanks Harg. It's the Panasonic 7-14 and boy is it easier to carry around compared to that massive Zuiko.

I like both cameras. The E-M1's EVF is superior, but the ability to flip the GX7's finder up for low-level shooting is fun, the pin-point AF option on the GX7 is a much more precise AF selection compared to even the smallest AF box option on the E-M1 and Panasonic's implementation of the on-screen digital level is better.

Both cameras are built very well, but the E-M1 is an over-the-top tank compared to the excellent quality of the GX7.

I use manual exposure most of the time these days and utilize the histogram to make sure I'm retaining highlights and the E-M1's histogram is much nicer. The GX7's histogram and small and cramped by comparison.

Both cameras have a definite list of pluses and minuses compared to the other, like the cool silent mode of the GX7, the 2x2 switch of the E-M1 or the lower profile of the GX7 that allows it and a set of lenses to fit better into my smaller bags for ease of carry.

I am torn. I like them both and so tend to flip back & forth. The one trump card of the E-M1 is it's all-weather suitability. When I traveled to the Gettysburg National Battlefield one of the days was a foggy, misty mess for several hours, making the E-M1 the perfect solution for that trip.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:25 PM   #5

Greg I really like the composition on that .. the pic made me think you had nabbed another copy of the FT 7-14 ! Have you seen the rumoured price of the new Oly MFT 7-14 F2.8.. at $1900 .. !!???

Not sure why Pana didn;t make the GX7 weathersealed.. I think it definitely should be even if it meant it was a little larger and heavier.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:26 PM   #6

Oh yeah. At one stop faster than the four-thirds lens, I expect the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko will be a sizable lens. No doubt high, high quality too.

This Panasonic 7-14 is small, light and super-easy to carry. Around the same size or possibly a little smaller than a 9-18mm Four-Thirds Zuiko without the huge hood fitted.

Yeah, not sure, other than they just wanted the one pro-type, sealed body with the GH series. Other than the sealing, I believe they stuffed every possible feature into the GX7 and it's a solid body of a camera. I would imagine in a pinch, used in a light mist it'd survive just fine.

A couple of other thumbs-up I'll give the GX7 compared to the E-M1, the wi-fi implementation is just stupid easy for the GX7 and I like how the back LCD continues to be viewable, where the back LCD of the E-M1 stays frozen with the wi-fi screen, meaning your only viewing option with the E-M1 in remote control is the screen on your phone or whatever device you're using to control the camera, and in the classification of the least important thing of all, but something a lot of Olympus owners complain about, the hot shoe cap of the GX7 actually locks on. There's a little lip on the cap that locks into the body. To remove the cap, you have to press down, then slide it out. One of the first things I do with any new Olympus body is to remove that cap and put it in the box. Otherwise, it's typically gone by about two weeks in.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM.