Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1

1st attempt at a serious pano 3 frames, autostitch, any comments or advice appreciated
Attached Images

rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:53 PM   #2

You have made an excellent start with your first "serious" panorama. I think the cloudscontribute a lot to the success of the image. You no doubt kept the camera level as is frequently recommended, but don't be afraid to tilt the camera up or down (by the same amount for all the shots) on occasion. A level camera puts the horizon half way up the image; a tilted camera will move the horizon up or down and give more emphasis to the sky or land features, as appropriate. The horizon should remain flat and level regardless of the angle of tilt.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

Thanks for looking and the advice I'll file it away for the next oppurtunity.

David
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:38 PM   #4

panostar wrote:
Quote:
You have made an excellent start with your first "serious" panorama. I think the cloudscontribute a lot to the success of the image. ...
Agree - very nice. And nicely sized for us dial-up folks as well

panostar wrote:
Quote:
... You no doubt kept the camera level as is frequently recommended, but don't be afraid to tilt the camera up or down (by the same amount for all the shots) on occasion. A level camera puts the horizon half way up the image; a tilted camera will move the horizon up or down and give more emphasis to the sky or land features, as appropriate. The horizon should remain flat and level regardless of the angle of tilt.
Interesting, I didn't think any of the automagical stitching programs dealt with a pitch different than zero (level tripod).

rubadubdub: keep at it and try all kinds of things. There seems to be three basic points about shooting panoramas:

1) There are all kinds of rules: level tripod, fixed exposure, fixed white balance, shoot fast to avoid light level changes, nodal point rotation, ...
2) Every on of those rules can be broken
3) You can use simpler software and will have fewer failures if you follow the rules.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:41 AM   #5

I love the colours and the contrast in the sky, good job !!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:52 AM   #6

Bill Drew said
"Interesting, I didn't think any of the automagical stitching programs dealt with a pitch different than zero (level tripod)."

AutoPano Pro is 'clever enough' to handle images that are not level, have different focal length and close but not exact white balance and exposure.

Seems amazing but it does. For example with a featureless sky you can have wide angle images blended with standard images of the scene with more detail.

Bill Shinnick

One of my panos (all same focal length) here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=69

bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the feed back all, I didn't have the tripod handy and used the hand rail on a bridge for stability.....I think the autostich worked reasonably well...I'm pretty happy with it,

I'll keep trying with your advice in mind.

David
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:46 AM   #8

rubadubdub wrote:
Quote:
.....I think the autostich worked reasonably well...I'm pretty happy with it,

David
I agree about autostitch. Sometimes it works better than my $100+ software but it is limited to spherical projections.

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote