Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:21 PM   #1

HI,

This is anand and am from australia. My hobby is photography and iam a starter owning a kodak Z7590, making something with that piece.

I tried with some pano`s and the result is good. i tried many softwares. some algorithms are good in stitching and some are good in maintaining the quality of the photo.

Adobe CS2 is good if the snaps are taken in correct angle to match each other.

Autostitch is good but some what iam missing the quality a little bit.

i used the PT assembler and the related products of it. they are good but it consumes more time and i am not able to see the chages virtually whats happening.

Anyway nothing bad for freewares..

Iam attaching a pano i took in a hill top in wollongong, Newsouthwales, australia. Its a small town and you can see theland down there upto sea level is the town.

i did some color combinations in adobe. check it out

Attached Images

anandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:36 AM   #2

It looks like you havea littlevignetting that's causing some dark banding in the sky.
You need to correct that with the Lens Correction filter in CS2. If you want a free
stitcher, then you should try Hugin. It's similar to PTAssembler but it does have an
instant preview display and the stitching quality is excellent (as it is in all the
Panorama Tools based stitchers). I'm afraid I cannot enthuse about the colour
processing, but that's a matter of taste!
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:31 PM   #3

its really a software section not really for posting pics, there are panos posted regular in the landscape section

there are loads on my site too.............http://www.hd7.co.uk

quote "Adobe CS2 is good if the snaps are taken in correct angle to match each other"

all mine are done in cs2 but not with the autostich part, there done by hand and eye using various ways inc transform/skew, level, curves, various brushes and clone tools, and a bit of work...........nothing i have taken cannot be made good with cs2

i tried auto stich software of various types and on the whole results didnt stand up to been printed at 3 foot long, they my look ok at low res on a pc but i need em to stand up to close inspection and big big size

welcome to the world of panoramics mate.....its great

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:38 PM   #4

Hi,

The link you gave is amazing and the snaps are perfect. you did a great job
anandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5

cheers mate, hope it inspires you to keep on shooting, look forward to seeing more form down under!

post em im the photo/landscape section for better response

OZ is a big place with big contry am sure there is plenty for you to shoot mate :-)

Gary
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:51 PM   #6

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
all mine are done in cs2 but not with the autostich part, there done by hand and eye using various ways inc transform/skew, level, curves, various brushes and clone tools, and a bit of work...........nothing i have taken cannot be made good with cs2
You have done an excellent job with your images. Landscapes lend themselves to
this technique and I started off by making mine in exactly the same way. It's a time
consuming but very satisfying occupation. However, I soon learned a better way
that is very considerably less laborious and gives even better results - and with a
much wider range of subjects and lenses. Panorama Tools + one of the gui interface
prograrnssuch as PTGui and Hugin will yield results of the highest quality. Even
gigapixelimages can be produced if you take enough images. It really is a waste of
timealigning and transforming images manually when software will do itmuch
more accuratelyandquicker,withvery little effort. When necessary, the stitched
result can be output as a.psdlayered file (with layer masks) so you retain all the
flexibility of Photoshop to edit therouting of the seams to correct minor errors due
to subject movement or whatever. Stitching with Panorama Tools is not something
you can learn in an evening, but it'swell worth spending the time tomaster it.

panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:15 PM   #7

i did try that one mate :-) and must admit it was one of the better ones !

used a 360 degree on once and end results was very poor.... possilbey called panorado?? had to reduce size of pics cos it used all the 1 gig of ram i had and locked pc trying to joing 11 images

with landscapes with walls houses etc it struggled.........even the autostich built into cs2 struggles..........many people dont know its there !!

to be honest it dont take me that long in photoshop now as ive done so many, if it was for just showing online id be happy with an autostich software, but these are for printing big and selling so they need to look perfect in everyway.

i just got back from a final meeting with a gallery who are going to show and sell my work, one of the comments was that they had never seen images so well stitched, which was a nice compliment...........they wouldnt commit till they had printed them......insisted i showed them where joins where as they couldnt see them!!!

Gary

Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:55 PM   #8

I agree with Panostar: it is well worth the time to learn how to use Panorama Tools
with one of the graphic front ends (PTGui, PTAssembler, PTMac, Hugin, ...). In
particular if you are going to work with any architectural features which need to be
vertical. That is pretty much trivial once you figure out the software - which is not a
trivial exercise. Well worth the effort.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote