Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:20 AM   #1

I would like to drive or walk along a street taking pictures of the sides at regular intervals, and stitch them together into a continuous "panorama".

In other words, camera is moved from one shot to the next but points in the same direction.

Is "flat projection" what is needed here? Is there free or inexpensive software that can do this? For example, can Panorama Tools (or the various friendlier software that run over Panorama Tools) do this?
rlphtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:38 AM   #2

it wont work.

its been dicused before, the world is 3d and as u move sideways the perspective of things in backgound change.

i once tried it with a stretch hummer limo, took a shot moved sideways took another etc, could join hummer but background was imposible, the lot i took standing stationary turning worked fine and my point of view didnt change

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3

It is possible to stitch such photos manually using layers and transform tools in Photoshop. This seems to be the best and only practical way of doing it, but it's very laborious. You need to take the photos with due regard for where the seams will fall asthere can be nasty parallax problems. Imade this one with 8 portrait shots in a narrow street:

panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:20 PM   #4

2 dimensional will work lke that

i have done one of a nice old dry stone wall which was easy as there was nothing between lens and wall and i just steped sideways noting what bit i had shot

its when u have things between your subject mater and lens....ie walls, trees etc.

think last time it was discussed someone wanted to walk round something and join the shots up

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the confirmation that it is possible. After searching old posts, I found a reference to a thread in another forum:
http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=276

which had another example:
http://www.animatif.com/labo/hugo.htm

and a reference to this writeup:
http://www.photoprojects.net/index4.html

Apparently, the term is "orthographic panorama". There were suggestions that Panorama Tools could do it by specifying a very large focal length for the lens, or by other tricks.

"Very laborious" ... "very time consuming" ... it sounds like there is an opportunity here to write software to automate the process. At the moment, though, I have no idea what that would involve.
rlphtx is offline   Reply With Quote