Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Photomerging In PS Elements2

I am trying to merge 7 photos that are .tif files. None of the pictures will merge correctly. If I use .jpeg files there is no problem. My question, is: Can .tif files be merged into a panorama? If so, what am I doing wrong. I have tried the resolutions from 72 - 300 and always get the same results. When taking the pic. I over lap approx. 40% ,
Thanks for any help. Are there anyother good (free) photomerging programs avaiable that will do this using .tif?
Sorry Folks, I am new to this fourm(today)and wasn't aware there was a Panorama/Stitching section. I posted the same thing in the General, but no replys as of yet. Again I'm sorry for the confusion.
Bob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:35 PM   #2

Default Re: Photomerging In PS Elements2

Though it is getting a bit out of date, panoguide (http://www.panoguide.com/) is still a good starting point for information panoramic.

Since I don't use PS Elements, I cannot comment on the limitations of that program, but it seems very unlikely that the resolution (dpi?) will have any effect.

Are you shooting the originals as TIFFs? Very few folks do that.

IMHO, Panorama Tools is the best stitching program. It is also the most difficult to install, to learn, and to use - well worth the effort. I think it will use TIFFs as input, but I have never tried.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:42 PM   #3

thanks for the reply Bill. I am shooting inside a church so there all stills. I am using a Minolta D7i and shooting .tiff. I will use a Epson 7600 as my printer. Could I get good results with a .jpeg file? The camera is let level. I just can't understand the pics not connecting correctly.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:57 PM   #4

Bill, its strange. I downloaded Panorama Factory demo to see if the quality was any better than PSE2. To my suprise it stitched and put everything together as it should be. Guess I'll have to buy it (to get rid of watermark), and dump PSE2 Photomerge. I think Adobe has a little work to do in that department.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:53 PM   #5

Default Re: Photomerging In PS Elements2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H.
I am trying to merge 7 photos that are .tif files. None of the pictures will merge correctly. If I use .jpeg files there is no problem. My question, is: Can .tif files be merged into a panorama?
What's the problem with converting to jpegs? If you convert your tifs using a minimum jpeg compression, the files will be enormously smaller, and the loss of quality will not be noticeable.

Irfanview (www.inrfanview.com) and numerous other editors have batch conversion facilities. Just make sure you keep your original tifs, if that's what you like to keep.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:46 PM   #6

I don't know if this will work or not, never done this before. This is the panorama I've been trying to do in PSE2. This one was sucessful in U-Leads Cool 360. Its un-retouched. Just as it came out of the camera. U-lead does a auto-crop. jpeg file @72 resolution.

now to see if it worked.
To see the pic. right click on the little square box and select View Image.