Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:11 AM   #1

Hi, i got a project to create panorama image. I should create it under linux, and with commands. Is there anyone know such software which allow to stitching images by commands, not GUI?

Thanks!
beausejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:48 PM   #2

what do u mean by commands??

i dont use a gui........i join by hand in photoshop

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:07 PM   #3

Seems like using PhotoShop to slide/match/adjust/distort/... is close to the ultimate GUI :-) But that approach might be what he was looking for: her specs weren't real tight.

If he expects to throw a bunch of pictures into a directory, fire up a script, come back and find a whole bunch of perfectly stitched panoramas he is living in cloud coco land. The only way that has amy chance to work is with some very carefull shooting in the first place designed to fit the parameters of a program like the Panorama Factory (http://www.panoramafactory.com/help_batch/index.html - shareware). Will work best with the camera level on a tripod designed to rotate about the right point. For sure fixed exposure/white balance/contrast/...

Ain't linux though.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 8:59 AM   #4
Administrator

I've never used it (although some of our forum members can probably tell you more about it).

But, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools is also available for Linux, and there are multiple front ends out for it if you want a GUI (for example, Hugin)

http://panotools.sourceforge.net/

You may also want to look into what ImageMagick has available (I don't know if any stitching functions are in it or not). You'll have to dig through the available commands:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 8:40 PM   #5

Prof Derch's Panorama Tools has been the gold standard in pano stitching for many years, and I believe still is. PT is pretty much unusable on it's own, but as Jim mentioned, there are several GUI front-ends. I haven't used it, but I have heard of an automagical stitcher front-end for PT. If that is available in linux, it would probably do the job beausejour wants.

How well any automagical stitcher works depends a great deal on the subject matter. It will have a hard time with a gravel road fronting on a wheat field as an example. Though it might catch fence/telephone/electric poles if you are lucky.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:34 PM   #6
Administrator

It sounds like it's for some kind of class project (has to be from command line, no gui allowed). Of course, I'm speculating.

If you're allowed to run Windows programs under Wine, I did try Autopano Pro under Wine not long ago, and it runs that way in Linux. It's got some command line options available:

Command Line Options for Autopano Pro

But, it requires that you setup a .ini file with information in it first (input/output folders and more). Then, you just pass the name of the .ini file you want it to use from command line when starting it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:28 AM   #7

I'm sorry that i did't clear the question that i asked. I am looking for a freeware to create panorama with several photos taken by DC, i wish the software could be runned in the console with a line of commands, like ptstitcher (but the quality of panorama created by PTStitcher is quite poor). I just found PTmender, should i test it in the linux. So if anyone know kinds of freeware, please tell me, thanks.
beausejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:04 PM   #8

beausejour wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry that i did't clear the question that i asked. I am looking for a freeware to create panorama with several photos taken by DC, i wish the software could be runned in the console with a line of commands, like ptstitcher (but the quality of panorama created by PTStitcher is quite poor). I just found PTmender, should i test it in the linux. So if anyone know kinds of freeware, please tell me, thanks.
I think PTStitcher is Dersch's minimal front end for Panorama Tools. I never did figure out how to use it, and not many folks have spent the time to figure out how to use it.

However it is very hard to beat Panorama Tools - the engine underlying PTStitcher.

You might want to take a look at Hugin: it is a graphic front end for PT, but it is available for Linux and might have some info that you would find of use.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:55 PM   #9

yeah, because most propramms "with GUI" - just front-ends for command-line tools(like panarama and etc).
i use PT and Hugin both and very satisfed.
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote