Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:43 PM   #1

The southwest beauty is hard to capture with a P & S. DoubleTake does a pretty good stitch, though--
Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2

It's an impressive view and DoubleTake hasn't done too bad a job at first sight,but the seams are visible if you care to look for them. I haven't come across DoubleTake before, (Mac only) but you can get a better stitch than this with other software.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:33 AM   #3

'preciate the response, Panostar. I'm just wondering what you would suggest for stitching on a Mac. This pano was literally drag n' drop-- no futzing whatsoever, and i think Double Take cost $20.00. I don't like the "Easy-Stitch" software that came with my Olympus camera, and don't find that PS Elements, or CS2 are very good at merging.

What do you suggest (inexpensive, of course)?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:18 PM   #4

It depends on what you value most: ease of use, or quality ofstitch. I don't have a Mac system nor have I used one, so my advice is notrooted inpersonal experience on that platform.

The cheapest stitching product, andone capable of the highest quality, is the free open source program Hugin (http://hugin.sourceforge.net/). It is based on the excellent Panorama Tools and the latest stable version is 0.6.1. It does take a little while to get to grips with, though, and isn't simply drag 'n' drop. PTGui is similar (www.ptgui.com ), but more polished and much easier to use for a newbie. It would be worth trying the free trial version just to get the hang of things. Hugin would then be a easier to cope with. Another Panorama Tools based stitcher is PTMac ( http://www.kekus.com/software/ptmac.html). This is similar to Hugin.

Otherwise, you could try Arcsoft PanoramaMaker ( http://www.arcsoft.com/products/panoramamaker/). I tried the Windows version some time ago and got some very good stitches of cylindrical panoramas. It is easy to use.

My own preference is for PTGui (on Windows) andI've used it for nearly eight years. I have found nothing as versatile and capable of better quality results in that time. But there are certainly easier programs to use. As an example, you can examine this largestitch that I did last week in connection with tests of a new panorama head : http://tinyurl.com/3ael9x(7300x2900 jpg - 3MB).

John
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:06 PM   #5

Like John, I don't have a Mac.

Also like John, I suggest looking at stitching programs based on Panorama Tools. I think Hugin (freeware) is available for the Mac, and I have heard of a program called PTMac. One of the biggest advantage of PT based stitchers is being able to fine tune the stitch lines after the fact by using layered output. To take advantage of that you need photo editing software that deals well with layers.

You will not be unhappy with having your current automagical stitching program. Quick and easy is nice, and having something to deal with difficult situations is also nice. Any program that deals with a large number of situations is more difficult to learn than a limited program.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, folks--