Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:33 PM   #1

I have been using AutoStitch for some time now and like the simplicity of the program but ........

............. when it stitches 3 images which are 3.4 to 3.8 mp each the final pano is less than 1 mp !

This limits how large a print it can generate.

I came upon W/L/G which is just as simple to use and has better cropping of the image and comes with a nice editing ability like the one that comes with HP printers.

My problem:

I have no idea what I may have done but the program has cataloged all the images that were in files on my desk top (which I should have burned to Cd a long time ago) 1500 +/-.

How do I close the opened images without deleting them so I can go back to making panos?

BiLL

Here is one of the panos
Attached Images

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
I have been using AutoStitch for some time now and like the simplicity of the program but ........

............. when it stitches 3 images which are 3.4 to 3.8 mp each the final pano is less than 1 mp !

This limits how large a print it can generate.
In Autostitch, I assume you have set the options in the 'output size' box to "100%", have you? You can also turn up the "jpg quality", if you wish.

I have used autostitch for many large panoramas, with quality adequate for large prints. The first pass just gives a quick look at low quality, to ensure that stitching has succeeded. Then I turn up the size and the quality. It takes a very long time (hours, overnight) on my machine!

Ar present I'm working on a pano of our village, starting with six 3072x2034 1.8MB images, with quite a lot of overlap, and I've got a trimmed & slightly sharpened image ready for printing out of autostitch that's 9990x2214 pixels and 4714KB, and will look fine (from a reasonable viewing distance) at about 8 inches high and 3 feet wide.

Here is an 800x600 pixel clip from that image. If you resized it on your monitor to be 4 inches by 3 inches, that would be 200 pixels per inch, and be part of a pano 11 inches high and 50 inches wide. Viewed from a few feet away, it would look fine, and impress the neighbours, (but not critical photographers).

Good luck!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:31 PM   #3

Thanks Alan T

I burned all the pictures I had on my desk top (filled 4 cds). I removed Windows Living Gallery from my hard drive. As per your recomendation I went into AutoStitch and made out put size 100%. Regarding the "jpg quality" How and what do you recomend to set this at ?

BiLL
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:50 AM   #4

The quality you need depends on what use you have for the end product, of course. I'd try the default 75% first, and increase it if necessary.

I note that the excellent freeware image processor Irfanview (www.infanview.com) uses a 0-100 scale for jpg quality as well. His default is 80, which he says in the Help file is 'satisfactory for most purposes'. Recompressing jpegs several times is a bad idea, so it's best to start with very little compression on first stitching, if you're going to do any cropping or other post-processing afterwards.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:02 AM   #5

Hello Alan T.

I down loaded Irfanview.

I removed Autostitch.

I watched the tutorial on making a pano.

Tried 3 time and each time I ended up with the 3 selected images side by side in a very large size (more than 3x my screen size.

On Autostitch what do you recomend for Output size>width & height > scale

I set scale to 100% and it reverts to a lower seting after a attempt.

I primarily want to print on up to 11"x14" sheets of paper at home and on occassion up-load to a printing service for a 16"x20" once in a while.

Sorry if I am becoming a pest :sad:

Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6

This is what I do (Autostitch 2.2)...

1. Run autostitch

2. Use "File...| Open..." to get the file selector box open;

3. Using drag & drop, take copies (not the originals) of the pano's individual files into that window;

4. Select them all, and press 'OK';

5. Autostitch starts stitching, using its default low quality settings, saying "Opening...rendering...blending...";

6. A low quality panorama appears shortly in your default viewer, and it's present in the directory where you started, called "pano.jpg".

7. If it looks OK, apart from the poor image quality, go to "Edit...Options...", select the "Output size | Scale%..." radio button and set it to "100%".

8. Got to "Stitch... | Start" . This starts the high quality stitching (at 75% JPEG quality), and wait, possibly for a long time, for a nice finished result, which will need black space cropping off top and bottom for a properly finished result. The resulting file will again be called "pano.jpg". If it's any good, rename it immediately, and copy it elsewhere.

Sorry if you tried Irfanview for stitching; I didn't intend you to. It just glues them together badly, as you discovered. It's very good for everything else.

It took 20 min this morning (in my absence) for this 6-shot pano, on my elderly, 2006, 2.8Ghz, 500MB RAM PC. My wife's laptop is more than 10X as fast. I've resized it to 1000 pixels wide to fit the forum, but the original looks fine, filling the screen in height at 10.5 inches high. This would be fine at the size you want.

Now read on...
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:16 PM   #7

Here is a full size, 1:1, pixel for pixel, clip from the unresized version straight out of Autostitch 2.2. At 200 pixels per inch, probably adequate for photo printing, this would be 54 inches wide by 12.7 inches high.If you have a 17-inch monitor, this will be displayed at half that resolution, about 100 pixels per inch.

It wouldn't be sharp if you stood close to it, but it'd be fine from a few feet away, or at a smaller size.
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:24 PM   #8

"I see said the blind man......."

I never went beyond step 6 !:roll:

At this point the stitched image was opened via my Adobe Photo Elements 4.

I would crop it some and save it as it was and go my happy way !

It's amazing what you can see when you open your eyes!!

Thanks a million (Euro $)

BiLL

Will go back to download latest version of Autostitch for the final (I hope) acid test :!:
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9

...and here it is at half the size, 200 pixels/inch. On a 17", 4:3 monitor, about 10.5 inches high, this is roughly how it would look as a 4-inch by 3-inch pieceof a big print of 54 x 13.7 inches.

Good luck! Hope this makes things clearer. As you'll gather, I love 'autostitch'.

PS. When talking about 'autostitch', beware oftypos leaving out the third 't'.
'autostich', without the missing 't', goes to a financial hijacking site. Close it instantly if you see it.
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:16 PM   #10

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
...Thanks a million (Euro $) ...
Delighted to be of assistance! Have fun!