Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:37 PM   #1

I recently got a Canon Powershot A590is, A compromise since I couldn't afford a DSLR, but anyway. Recently, my church built a brand new building and this Sunday is the first unofficial service. Tonight we did a dry run of the sound system(I do the sound recording.) I took my camera along and tried getting a few shots to do a couple panoramas. I did use the auto setting, the first set is using the flash, the second set without. Also the first set is without a tripod and the second set was set on the ledge of the soundbooth and pivoted.

Here are my results(Caution: these are the full res stitches from Canon Photostitch and are about 2mb each):
http://www.djchocolatepudding.com/me.../04sept081.jpg

http://www.djchocolatepudding.com/me.../04sept082.jpg

As you can see the first one is pretty rough. The second one looks better to me. I'm sure a tripod would help, but are there any other suggestions?
tricky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

We have a Panorama / Stitching Forum setup where you may be able to get some tips from members. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

BTW, Welcome to the forums.

JimC

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3

tricky1 wrote:
Quote:
I recently got a Canon Powershot A590is, A compromise since I couldn't afford a DSLR, but anyway. Recently, my church built a brand new building and this Sunday is the first unofficial service. Tonight we did a dry run of the sound system(I do the sound recording.) I took my camera along and tried getting a few shots to do a couple panoramas. I did use the auto setting, the first set is using the flash, the second set without. Also the first set is without a tripod and the second set was set on the ledge of the soundbooth and pivoted.

Here are my results(Caution: these are the full res stitches from Canon Photostitch and are about 2mb each):
http://www.djchocolatepudding.com/me.../04sept081.jpg

http://www.djchocolatepudding.com/me.../04sept082.jpg

As you can see the first one is pretty rough. The second one looks better to me. I'm sure a tripod would help, but are there any other suggestions?
If you were careful about rotating the camera, a tripod would be probably not do much to improve the pano.

I only looked at the second pano (slow dial-up) and did notice a strange double stitch burp near the right edge of the stage. I'd guess that your software got discombobulated by the repetativeness of the seats in the foreground. Since it is far from your camera, that is unlikely to be fixed by using a tripod.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:09 AM   #4

Ok I redid the 2nd one with Hugin, and think it came out much better...

here are the originals, resized and 56k friendly.

tricky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:02 AM   #5

The automagical stitching programs are nice to work with when they do the job, but one of the Panorama Tools based programs (Hugin, PTGui, PTAssembler, PTMac, ...) is worth knowing how to use when they fail.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote