Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Hand holding and nodal point

Although I did build a two axis panorama head (see http://www.geocities.com/bill0drew/panohead/index.htm for a few notes), I find that I am doing more and more hand held because of the hassle of hauling a tripod. That means much more work in stitching, but works well in most cases. The picture below was stitched from 18 hand-held shots. If I had used my pano head, it might been done with about 9 shots. IMHO, the difference in stitching work is really the main reason to use a pano head.

(see
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~horma001/Chim...20708web30.htm for a PTViewer version in higher resolution)

The pictures were taken from two points that were about twenty feet apart. There was a bit of messing about with PhotoShop to deal with that seam, but it really wasn't hard to do. When there is that big a jump in the shooting point, a big overlap is usually needed to be able to deal with the parallax error.

The need to rotate about the nodal point is greatly exagerated. Working without a pano head, but with a tripod, will serve for most panoramas. I am very sure that a pano head is rarely needed if the final use of the panorama is for the web.

[Edited on 7-30-2002 by BillDrew]
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:13 PM   #2

Another try to get the link to the PT/PTViewer version of that panorama:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~horma001/Chim...20708web30.htm
It is about 220K including the Java Applet.

[Edited on 7-30-2002 by BillDrew]
Old Sep 2, 2002, 6:31 PM   #3

Bill,

That view of Chimney Rock (the little movie) is breathtaking!

I think Helmut Dersch (Pano Tools) would be astounded with what you have learned and can do with the pano idea.

The perspective shifts produce a surrealistic effect, which you seem to capitalize on very well. I'd love to see what you would do with a sequence from the canyons of New York City.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 6:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the kind words Walter.

I've come to the conclusion that most "panos" that span more than about 70 degrees in the vertical direction have to much projection distortion to make a reasonable flat picture. Using PTViewer (or QuickTime or ....) allows a smaller window to get rid of the projection problem and then the viewer picks which part of the picture to look at.

Doubt I will do any shooting in New York: I found Chimney Rock crowded at 8:00am on a Tuesday - there must have been at least a dozen people there. But I am a firm believer in the old saying, "If you need walls on the outhouse, the neighbors are to close." :-)