Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Photo stitching software

What would you say is the best photo stitching program out there, considering ease of use, manual and automatic and best final quality?
Thanks
Kiriakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

Hi

I use Panorama Tools, which is very good - especially on automatic settings. It's also very easy to use and give good result without almost any knowledge. You are welcome to visit my website for viewing a stitch from the Italian Alps. It in the slideshow at the mainsite. Link below.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:39 AM   #3

Which Panorama Tools you mean?
ADG Panorama Tools, PTGui Panorama Tools or Pano Tools Assembler?
In any case, after a very short and basic trial I had with them, I graded them with 5, 6.5 and 3 respectively out of 10. But then again I may be wrong.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:07 PM   #4

SORRY!

I wrote the wrong name of that program, dont know what I was thinking of.

Panorama FACTORY is the name.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

try this adress:

http://www.panoramafactory.com/
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:41 PM   #5

Klaus thanks
Panorama Factory 3.1 is indeed a very good program and I have given it a 8 grade.
What is your opinion about Fotovista and Ulead Cool 360, if you know?
Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:20 PM   #6

Sorry, but I haven't used any of those. My experiences only goes with Panorama tools - which I didn't like very much. Too much work for nothing special. Canons Photostitch which is a very good beginner program, but really not very good. Then I've tried some manual stitching in Photoshop, which also was too much work. I like Panorama factory and now use this.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:01 PM   #7

Default Re: Photo stitching software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiriakos
What would you say is the best photo stitching program out there, considering ease of use, manual and automatic and best final quality?
The best stitching program is Panorama Tools, but it is not easy even with one of the gui front ents (PTGui, PTAssembler, PTMac, PTOpen, ...) Well worth the effort for stitching images nothing else will manage. So it is worthwhile to also use one of the automagical stitching programs, like the Panorama Factory which will do just as good a job about 70-90% of the time with much less work.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:19 PM   #8

Thank you Drew
I have no reason not to accept what you say. However I did not manage well the PT Gui and Assembler and thus gave them a low grade as you can see in my previous message. I may not be proficient enough.
Have you any experience with Photovista and Cool 360?
Regards
Old Oct 23, 2003, 3:06 PM   #9

Quote:
... I did not manage well the PT Gui and Assembler and thus gave them a low grade as you can see in my previous message.
On the ease of use scale, PT (even with one of the GUIs) certainly deserves a low grade. But that is not the only scale. Being able to choose a rectilinear projection will make stitching arcitectual images much better. Being able to work with layered output to fine tune the stich lines will save images that no program without that choice can do. Being able to deal with lens distortions and vignetting can be usefull depending on your camera.

I would not recomend PT as your first stitching program, nor as your only stitching program, but as a program that is able to stitch panos that nothing else is able to do. PT is well worth the effort to learn.
Quote:
I may not be proficient enough.
Have you any experience with Photovista and Cool 360?
Regards
I have no experience with either of those.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:28 PM   #10

This is a LOT of fun and free: http://web.singnet.com.sg/pixaround/

Panorama Factory doesn’t work for me as it requires too much overlap. If you overlap less than 20% it gives really crappy stitches.

If your camera has a pano assist and software that uses it, that is often the easiest way to stitch images. The software identifies and numbers the panorama shots and stitches them without much ado. If you want to expand into stacking horizontally and vertically or doing entire hemispheres you can navigate around in you might as well grit your teeth and learn to use PT.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote