Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old May 29, 2009, 3:31 PM   #1
SAH

Default My first panoramic photo

using the nikon D90 and the panoramic assist feature on the camera. This is a skyline shot of Cincinnati, ohio, the ohio river and Northern KY area.

Last edited by SAH; May 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:57 PM   #2

Nice shot. You might want to check out http://www.lenspen.com for a neat little gadget to make taking panorama shots easier. Click ALL PRODUCTS then look for Panamatic and click.

Last edited by Bynx; Jun 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:01 PM   #3
SAH

This photo was not bad seeing as it was my first one and i was doing it handheld. But really the nikon P90 does away with the need for something like that. It has a feature that actually superimposes a section of the last picture you took in the view finder of the image you are about to take. So all you have to do is line up the that image with what you are seeing in the viewfinder/LCD and just snap the picture and repeat. Then when your done click OK and it saves those photos in a special file just fopr the panoramic shot. I did a second one where i was able to put the camera on a railing for better stability and the end result was not to bad. I hope to get more next week as I am going to the Beach.
The P90 not only comes with the panoramic feature on the camera but also the software to stitch it together.
Here is my second one:
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:28 AM   #4

One thing to note is that keeping the camera level puts the horizon along the middle of the panorama. In your second panorama, the composition would have been better with the camera tilted downwards a little. You would have then have had less of the uninteresting sky and the stadium would not have been chopped off at the bottom. Some stitchers don't handle a tilted camera well, though, and give you a curved horizon. The better stitchers enable a flat and level horizon to be produced.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
SAH

Yea the problem was i didn't have my tripod and i had my camera sitting on a railing at the edge of a building 15 stories high. So I was more just testing stuff and trying to understand the camera more than lining up the shot which by using the railing i was limited to a level shot. I hope to bring in the tripod after vaca and get a better lined up shot. Thanks for the advice and I will remeber that when going for my next shot. I have never done this type of photography so i appreciate any tips you may have. I am going to the beach here shortly so I hope to get a few pan shots there.