Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
The standard grey card does both. Because of its medium neutral hue it will provide better color balance compared to a white sheet which has a tendency to make anything close to white - white without any tone...

Ha-ha...
That 2 x coffe-filter stunt I don't believe in. Not very scientific......

That 18% gray-card I find interesting and must try sometimes. Where to get it? Camera-accessory shop?

Doesn't have to be too big in area, does it. Enough so that your viewfinder is covered and gets a reading with the available light? Should be able to stash away in a medium-sized camerabag? But then there is so much one should carry, besides the obviouse (spare battery and memory-card)....

Quote:
...In RAW shooting pano's in AWB is not a problem because you can match up the color temps. JPEG is a different problem...
Never had any problems with panorama's and JPEG's yet, as I don't shoot RAW at all, because I find the whole concept of RAW somewhat intimidating (and consuming space on my harddrive) and have to undergo a learning-curve first!

Quote:
...but some lights have a greenish cast to them.
Agreed! That greenish-yellow light is the worst kind. Cannot stand that thing, it makes all things look supernatural and alien.....

Regards!
:-))

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:09 AM   #12

That 18% gray-card I find interesting and must try sometimes. Where to get it? Camera-accessory shop?

#1 Seller Digital Grey Kard White Balance Gray Card 18%

Buy It Now$9.88
Free shipping You can find them on ebay under camera accessories. In find section type in grey card. Scroll down until you find #1 seller digital grey kard white balance grey card 18%. It is 9.88 USD. A U.S. power seller that ships world wide. It is the same size card that I use (8X10). Allows you to put it at arms length from the camera so more light falls on it...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:37 PM   #13

Quote:
... It is the same size card that I use (8X10). Allows you to put it at arms length from the camera so more light falls on it...
Or you can cut it into four pieces that fit in your shirt pocket so you can have one with you all the time, and have spares when one wears out. If you use spot metering, it will still work just fine at arms length.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew View Post
Or you can cut it into four pieces that fit in your shirt pocket so you can have one with you all the time, and have spares when one wears out. If you use spot metering, it will still work just fine at arms length.
That is true. Always carry a back pack, so it just stays in there....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote