Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default Appartment-blocks by the river - Boligblokkene ved Nygaardsbryggen:

I'm still not sure if we are suppose to post panoramas in this section at all, but everybody does it, so I do too....


Just a fast Panorama of my hometowns 'Waterfront' - bouildings with appartments (expensive ones.......) and berths for your boat.

If I would buy one of those appartments, I couldn't afford a yacht, and vice versa! Come to think of it, I couldn't affort neither, anyway.

Well, here it is: Check out the bow of that 'Trawler' and the top of the mast on that sailing-boat - that's HDR for you, when objects are not rock steady.

Early in the morning, while most inhabitants were still asleep...

Appartment-blocks by the river - Boligblokkene ved Nygaardsbryggen:

Yes, I know, I know, I know - I should have gotten the church-steeple within the picture, but I didn't because it was so damn cold I couldn't frame properly, I almost couldn't see what was on the LCD - my eyes were watering from the cold wind.




...

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Double posting - I have no idea HOW this happened....?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

As Mark said in another thread, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoy seeing your work as do many others, and look forward every day to seeing something new. I fixed my panorama gyzmo today and will be shooting something tomorrow to post.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

well the colors look good. i would just have rather not have the boat on the right chopped off, and only seeing half the bridge. if it were shot facing a little more left maybe, you could have the bridge fully and then have the middle boats on the left 1/3. still, not as interesting photographically as some of your other work. though it is interesting in a "get to know where you are from" kind of way
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...still, not as interesting photographically as some of your other work....
Wasn't ment to be. It's just a harmless, no seriouse intention-kind of a panorama, with some nice colors. But thanks all the same, Hards80 - you really are 'on the job' , all the time!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...I fixed my panorama gyzmo today and will be shooting something tomorrow to post.
Thanks, Bynx.

If I succeded in getting you out of your living-room and out into the open, to take some panorama-shots, then this posting has done its mission!

Go get'em, Bynx!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Not bad at all Walter considering the circumstances. It is easier to sit in a warm comfy living room or bedroom and judge another person's photograph. I have been shooting an old freight building in single digit cloudy weather. It can become very difficult at times...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default Hey, thank's AR!

I didn't expect somebody to drop by here in this (forgotten?) forum. I am glad somebody appreciates the uncomfortable circumstances of being out in the cold (and wind - which you don't see..) to take some pictures.

I love night- and panorama-pictures. The reason I take panorama-pictures is because I do not have a wide enough wide-angle lens to show what I want to show.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I didn't expect somebody to drop by here in this (forgotten?) forum. I am glad somebody appreciates the uncomfortable circumstances of being out in the cold (and wind - which you don't see..) to take some pictures.

I love night- and panorama-pictures. The reason I take panorama-pictures is because I do not have a wide enough wide-angle lens to show what I want to show.

Walter, Are you using custom WB for these pano's? In the past I have been using a 18% grey card, but trying to reduce what I carry along with me. Never tried the 2 coffee filter or commercial products for accurate readings...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default

Don't remember exactly which WB I used then. Most probably Auto WB, since it was so cold and I didn't want to stay exposed to the elements for too long.

Usually I just point my camera at something white I can find and calibrate the BW accordingly - very quick and easy process on the G1 with Live View. I dont want to carry a lot of stuff with me neither (another reason I love my G1 = compact!). That 2 coffe-filter "thing" I dont know what it is - never heard of it.

Out of couriosity, why 18% gray-card? Is this something scientific? I always thought a plain white sheet would do? Is the gray card for exposure-readings as well?

Don't understand....


...
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Don't remember exactly which WB I used then. Most probably Auto WB, since it was so cold and I didn't want to stay exposed to the elements for too long.

Usually I just point my camera at something white I can find and calibrate the BW accordingly - very quick and easy process on the G1 with Live View. I dont want to carry a lot of stuff with me neither (another reason I love my G1 = compact!). That 2 coffe-filter "thing" I dont know what it is - never heard of it.

Out of couriosity, why 18% gray-card? Is this something scientific? I always thought a plain white sheet would do? Is the gray card for exposure-readings as well?

Don't understand....


...
The standard grey card does both. Because of its medium neutral hue it will provide better color balance compared to a white sheet which has a tendency to make anything close to white - white without any tone. Another trick is to place 2 off white coffee filters in front of the lens and set your custom WB. I have had mixed results with that. In RAW shooting pano's in AWB is not a problem because you can match up the color temps. JPEG is a different problem. Never pleased with tungsten WB (seems to blue to me), AWB is always to warm, and with a grey card the WB is better, but some lights have a greenish cast to them.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.