Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Stitching "tiles" rather than regular panos: Help!

I'm an old hand at panos, but recently found that certain material lends itself better to tiling. An example is shooting a "grafitti'style" mural, where it might occupy 50' or more, x 8' area on the side of a building.

I cannot get far enough away to do a regular pano because I need to stand on the sidewalk in order to avoid including parked cars in the shots. The resultant panos become very distored because of my closeness to the wall.

My only choice is to set up at the left end, shoot, move right a few feet, shoot, always shooting perpendicular to the wall. However, since I must use my 16mm lens, and cannot use a tripod (no place for it on the sidewalk), the tilt of the camera as well as the exact distance from the wall varies enough to be a challenge to pano software.

I would like to use PTGui and Pano Tools, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to use them to tile the images instead of doing a regular pano. The problem with the regular pano is the correction the program does for "yaw", but I have essentially no yaw, just displacement. I can't seem to get it to work.

Help! (Bill Drew?)
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:47 PM   #2

Not tried anything like that so can only guess.

Try correcting each image separatey for perspective - I am pretty sure that is what stops you from simply lining them up in photoshop. You might even be able to stack them up in layers in PhotoShop and do the correction to all of them in one go.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:11 AM   #3

Default Re: Stitching "tiles" rather than regular panos: H

Did you see the message about the gigapixel image http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm? I expect the discussion forums associated with that image might help a bit with your problem.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 6:38 AM   #4

Thanks Alan, I hadn't notice that Max had forums going.

Walter: take a look at http://www.tawbaware.com/cgi-bin/for...m=1&thread=276
where the same issue is being discussed with a solution.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 4:57 PM   #5

Thanks, Bill and Alan. I checked out your links. Wow! The patience involved in a gigapixel project like that is daunting.

The other guy hasexperienced my problem exactly. One solution, of telling Pano Tools that I'm using a very long lens, might work. But I came across a reference in the latest PTGui help file, that Horizontal Shift is used if the CCD is off-center, or if you are stitching a flat pano, where the HShift= the number of pixels shifted from one image to another.

I tried setting Yaw to 0, but no matter how I tried to set up the lens and pano parameters, the editor showed that my images were not being shifted in relation to each other. Instead, I was able to see only part of an image, but within the same frame space as the rest of the images.

But, I now am aware that it can be done. It is probably so obvious I just can't see it.

:roll: :roll:
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote