Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:52 AM   #1

Default Spherical Panoramas in Linz

I took these two days ago when I was in Linz. There was a heavy thunderstorm before I took these pictures - so there are still some heavy clouds in the sky and the floors are wet.

Samsung NX11 + Walimex Pro 8mm Fisheye Lens.
Exposure Bracketing +/-2 stops.

Stitching and HDR fusion done in Hugin, postprocessing in GIMP.

View from the castle in Linz down to the Danube.

In front of the Ars Electronica Center (the facade changed the color of the LED lights while I took three shots resulting in a blue left part, a orange middle part and a purple right part)

What do you think?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2

I think that while the little planet projection gives a pretty image, I would far rather see the VR panoramas presented relatively undistorted in a spherical viewer. The interesting detail carefully captured in the original images is largely thrown away in these views.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by panostar View Post
[..] I would far rather see the VR panoramas presented relatively undistorted in a spherical viewer. The interesting detail carefully captured in the original images is largely thrown away in these views.
Thanks for your input -- you're right, most of the visible "information" on the resulting planet is from the nadir picture.
Can you recommend a player and/or software to create a VR panorama?

I already took a quick glance at http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/comparisons/ for a comparison of VR players, but half of the players need the Java or QuickTime Plugin (which I don't have). The remaining Flash based ones either have a too restrictive license (prohibiting even non-commercial use of the trial versions output) or they rely on some other software to create a VR .mov file.

So I'm looking preferably for an HTML5/JavaScript based Open Source VR player, but I guess also any free Flash based player with support for VR panorama creation will do

I think some years ago there was a proposition for Hugin to support SWF and HTML output for the stitched panoramas, but so far that hasn't been implemented yet.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:20 AM   #4

Pano2QTVR free version can be used to produce .mov file. For flash, Pano2VR can be recommended. Panosalado is free, but I haven't used it myself.

John
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote