Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:52 AM   #1

Default Looking for pictures to stitch - made with different cameras

Hi, 8)
I'm testing a panorama software and I need for testing photos which are made with different cameras... (360 pictures). Can anyone help me?

Just to be clear .. I dont need panorama but the original pictures.
minissoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:34 PM   #2

I can dig some out, or shoot for the occasion with my old Casio 3000. With a connection that runs at 26.4K bps, I don't want to upload 12 images at 1.2M each so what is the lowest resolution/highest compression that will be usefull to you?

Will your software deal with a serious pitch angle, i.e., shooting a 360 pointing upward/downward by about 30 degrees? Multirow? Handheld/monopod so the pitch, roll, and nodal point location are not real consistent?

Be interesting to hear more about what you are setting out to do.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:42 AM   #3

Default Hi

Thank you for your answer.
The lowest resolution is 768x512... and even if it's a 70% compressed JPG is very usefull.
I dont need a multi row panorama, handheld is just fine.
It can be a 360 pano or a 180...
My e-mail address is minissoft@go.ro

Have a nice day.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4

You can pull them down from http://members.toast.net/BillDrew/barn/temp/ - downsized to 768x576 at 70% compression with Irfanview. 12 images that make a 360 pano - result of that can be seen at http://members.toast.net/BillDrew/ba...20918full.html

Those were shot off a homebuilt pano head with a pitch of a bit over nine degrees and a roll of about half a degree. Should be a good test of your stitching program since it has lots of strong off center horizontals.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 4:17 AM   #5

Default Thank you very much

Hi,

Thank you very much...
This pictures are just perfect..
Have a nice day .

Liviu
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:27 AM   #6

Let us know how your program is going.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:42 PM   #7

Default Which Program?

BillDrew - Just wondering what program(s) you used to make the panoramic shot with the contollable interface.

Thanks

-Brent
user2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:14 PM   #8

I used Panorama Tools with PTGui as the graphic front-end to do the stitching. And a fair amount of manual tweaking in Photoshop to get the joins into places where they don't show.

The viewer is PTViewer with PTViewer Scripter to generate the parameters for the Java applet. The script generator isn't real good for partial panoramas - more kludges on the imput to make it work with lots of manual tweaking of the output needed to make it not really worthwhile using for partial panos. I hope someone comes out with a good front end for PTViewer - it is a really nice program. The main problem with it is the same as Panorama Tools - so many options that it is difficult to figure out.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 AM   #9

Hi BillD.

I know you always been fond of the PT software. Would it be possible for you to post some image, that i.e. PF would have problems with stitching and then show, what PT can do. I would be very interested in this...

The GUI of PT scares lots of users IMO.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
Hi BillD.

I know you always been fond of the PT software. Would it be possible for you to post some image, that i.e. PF would have problems with stitching and then show, what PT can do. I would be very interested in this...
I am sure the set I put up for minissoft is one such example. I suspected this kind of question would come up, so I put the set of photos on the web for anyone to have a go at instead of emailing them. Anyone who wants can have a go - you don't have to stitch the whole 360, just pick two or three adjacent ones. The dirt floor will take a stitch line just about anywhere while it is almost impossible to match up the detailed ceiling boards.

The kind of photos the automagical stitching programs have problems with are off level with strong horizontal/architectual features. In many cases, it is not that PT does a much better job of stitching, but having the output in layers so the stitch line can be dealt with afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
The GUI of PT scares lots of users IMO.
The GUI shouldn't scare anyone - it is Panorama Tools itself that is a bit scarry. Scarry in the way trying to drive a huge and powerful tractor with no previous experience can be - easy to destroy your mother-in-law's flower garden in just a few seconds. PT is a very powerful tool that can do much more than just stitch panoramas - see http://www.philohome.com/barrelpers/barrelpers.htm for an example. Like any other powerful tool, it takes time and effort to learn how to use.

In the process of learning how to deal with PT, you have to figure out when you want a cylindrical projection instead of rectilinear. And the diversion into figuring why you might want an equirectangular projection is interesting. If you don't understand how a view camera works, getting a good grasp of why you might want to change the yaw could take some serious head scratching. Getting a good grasp on those issues is a part of learning how to use Panorama Tools - a grasp that will help with taking some non-panoramic photos.

Using one of the GUIs removes much of the techincal issues of stitching, but leaves a whole bunch of photographic issues that are well worth figuring out. Scarry for some folks: sure, but not for all.