Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jun 13, 2002, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Panoramas

I have become convinced that putting together panoramas is more a matter of software than having a panorama head and special camera settings. This one was done hand-held with my Casio 3000 set on “P” (Point-and-shoot) mode with only the white balance locked at “Daylight”. While it is easier to do with a pano head and fixed camera settings, and there are fewer failures, it can be done without them.

Using PhotoShop’s layer masks is the key point. (Paint Shop Pro’s layers could be used, but with much more difficulty. The reversibility of PS’s layer masking vs. the irreversibility of erasing PSP’s layers is what makes using PS easier.) I did the stitching with Panorama Tools using PTGui as the graphic front end. Using “PhotoShop with masks” as the output allows picking the joins (Again, it could be done with PSP by using PT/PTGui’s “Multi-image masked tiff” as the output, albeit not as easily.)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:48 AM   #2

Default Very clever idea

I would never have thought of using the same people in several parts of the pano. That is what you did, isn't it? Very creative.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 10:31 PM   #3

Yup, several "copies" of the same people in each part of the pano.

I started doing this in part to convince myself that a lot of the standard myths about panormamas are exagerated. You really don't nead a speacial pano head (both the one above and below are hand-held), though a tripod and pano head does make stitching easier.

(Hard to stop doing this.)
Old Jun 18, 2002, 8:27 AM   #4

Hi
Sorry to say this but some of the copied people do look too sharp or too blurred regarding the rest of the photo, a little artificial.
I use with great results the Pixtra Panostitcher, almost completely automatic and stuning results.
Bye
Francisco
Francisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 7:50 PM   #5

I won't argue about the sharpening - it is a bit overdone. The point of the post wasn't to show off a really good picture (it isn't), but to illustrate that you don't need special equipment to do panoramas. A pano head helps, I use it for studied shots, but candid panoramas are possible.

I am very sure that no software can stitch that many images with that little overlap automatically.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 3:59 AM   #6

Hi
Just a little example of 2 photo panorama - sorry abot the theme, later on will post better one.
Bye
Francisco
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:44 AM   #7

Default New Theme

3 pictures Panorama

Automatic panorama
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:45 AM   #8

9 pictures panorama

Bye
Francisco
Old Jun 24, 2002, 9:55 AM   #9

Default lotsa panoramas

Look here to see my collection of panoramas. All except where noted were handheld and the others made use of my Lego Mindstorms "panoramabot" (tm). If you look closely at one you can see me in the image twice.

All pics were stitched using Panorama Factory and taken with a Kodak DC3400 (2 Meg)

Makes my holiday shots that much nicer to have panoramas.

http://www.nickyandjeff.dsl.pipex.co.../panoramas.htm
ukbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 11:27 AM   #10

Hi

I just love your panoramabot (R) !
I try to figure how to construct one to complete my technics(tm) tripod, but I have only one rotation sensor.
Do you use one for the shutter or how do you make the touch and release action ?
Thanks
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote