Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old May 31, 2004, 7:59 PM   #1

Hi all,
I was wondering whether there is any problem in stitching a row of "portrait" (as opposed to landscape orientation) pics with Panorama Factory.
Thanks
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 9:00 PM   #2

Also, I have been playing with the trial version and have noticed that I am not getting straight lines. Is that a limitation of the software (perhaps no rectilinear panorama projection)?
I should add that I tried to stitch a panorama indoors and with no tripod, I realize now that was not the thing to do (I am complete new to stitching pics)...

Anyway after reading Max Lyons PTAssembler tutorial at
http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr_tutorial.htm
I am starting to see why PanoTools with a GUI is the recommended tool.
Old May 31, 2004, 9:28 PM   #3

There shouldn't be any problem with stitching portrait mode images with Panorama Factory or any other reasonable stiching program.
Quote:
Also, I have been playing with the trial version and have noticed that I am not getting straight lines. Is that a limitation of the software (perhaps no rectilinear panorama projection)?
Without seeing the image it is impossible to say for sure, but that is the likely issue. In particular if the lines are horizontal and near the top or bottom of the image.
Quote:
I should add that I tried to stitch a panorama indoors and with no tripod, I realize now that was not the thing to do
That is the kind of stuff to do. Try things out - many times it will fail and you can learn why it failed. Helps improve a technique and to know the limitations of the technique. When Ansel Adams was asked what the most usefull piece photograhic equipment was, he answered, "The wastebasket".
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:54 AM   #4

Bill,
thanks for the response.

I tried Pano Tools/PTGUI with the same indoor shots and with rectilinear panorama projection and I do get straight lines this time. Just for that reason I am going to invest time into PanoTools.

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:46 AM   #5

jnrob wrote:
Quote:
I have the same version and had the same problem. In the exif data, my camera records the 35mm eqiv. focal length, and setting the software to this before the stitch solved it beautifully. Hope this helps.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote