Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:14 PM   #11

I think Panorama Tools is well worth learning how to use. The price is right (free), and the GUI front-ends range in price between free and ~$50US. The amount of control is great and it will deal with fish-eye lenses as well. The only GUI I have used is PTGUI - it was about the first one out and I have stuck with it. I have no basis to compare it to the others.

If you are thinking of shooting for the web and shootin a lot, jamman has good advice. If you are trying to shoot for high resolution, the more "frames" the better as well as slower and harder.

To answer one of the questions you put to jamman ("Don't you have problems with the position (where to stand)?"): that is the fundemental problem with all photography.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:24 PM   #12

wicer, one shot lenses need more light than a normal photo, and bright lights create glare... there's not too much else thatshould trip you up.

I made another topic asking if people could upload or email me the original files from single shot lenses,so I could compare with other lenses. My 360 One VR lens was made from plastic and is getting a bit scratched... Im not sure what problem other single shot lenses suffer from.

I made the VR "paths" with 3D Motion VR Path beta(www.vr4tours.com), Nikon D100 / 360 One VR lens.
jamaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:23 AM   #13

jamaan wrote:

Thanks BillDrew and Jamaan,

I will take the suggestions in my consideration.

I took a lookat the website http://www.vr4tours.com. I did not see a possibility to download a demoversion. Can I get the 3D Motion VR Path beta somewhere?
wicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:54 PM   #14

Wicer, a full version should be released before march 1st. Afterwards several more products, allowing full navigation, moving into rooms, enterprise editon for VR companies, etc will be released.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:59 PM   #15

jamaan wrote:
Quote:
Wicer, a full version should be released before march 1st. Afterwards several more products, allowing full navigation, moving into rooms, enterprise editon for VR companies, etc will be released.
Does this mean that the VR[suP]4[/suP] Technology is yours? Is it possible to download the beta version somewhere?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:36 PM   #16

Wicer, VR4 Technology is my company, yes. I started 3D Motion Virtual Tours test the software in the most challenging market(low profit), small-time local real estate.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The stand alone version will actually have a Java player instead of the current Shockwave you see on the site.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:52 AM   #17

A free trial version can be downloaded at: http://www.3DmotionVR.com

3D Motion VR allows you to create 3D Motion paths using a One-Shot lens.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:16 AM   #18

I have bought a Nikon Coolpix 5000 now with two lenses. Wide Angle and a Fish Eye. Stitching pictures with the wide angle is no problem.

With the fish eye I encounteredproblems however. With 3dvista I got the best results, although I find it difficult to match the colors, etc. So the stitch is still clearly visible.

I would like to work with Hugin or PTGui, but whatever I tried I did not manage to get a normal panarama. I read some tutorials but no luck so far.

Is there someone who encountered the same problems and can tell me: oh you just have to put in these parameters and that's it :roll:

Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:56 AM   #19

wicer,

I've used Panoweaver with the Nikon 4500 and a fisheye lens. Excellent results, you can see on my website. It has auto adjustment, and then manual adjustment to furtheralign the photos. However the program is written in Java, and is not very stable, my only complaint.

In any stitching program, be sure to have your lens placed exactly over the "nodal point", or your photos wont turn well, seams will be really off.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:26 PM   #20

jamaan,

I have tried panoweaver professional as well. It worked really easy. The results I got were however less than what I achieved so far with 3dDVista. But I am still looking for the best and easiest program. I will give it another try. Did you ever try 3DVista?

Iused a tripod with no extras. What do you mean with 'nodal point'? The exact middle?

How do you solve the differences in color, etc? Also by using just panoweaver?