Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:12 PM   #21

wicer, here's a great site with photos and instructions for using fisheye images:

http://www.360texas.com/tips/nodalpts.htm

It will explain "nodal points". Also to eliminate differences in color, I output the cube faces first into Photoshop to clean them up, and then back into Panoweaver.

jamaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:35 PM   #22

One big advantage of Panorama Tools with one of the graphic front-ends is the ability to output PhotoShop masked layers. That allows clean-up of color shifts stitching issues that result from nodal point shifting, e.g., shooting hand-held.

http://www.ptgui.com/
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:23 PM   #23

Thanx, I will check out the sites.

BillDrew,

The problem I have with the GUI frontends is that there is, so far I can see, no automatic for fisheye lenses (as there is with 3DVista and Panoweaver which makes it easy). I have to input the data myself. Or have I overseen something.

Do you know which parameters I have to input for the Nikon FC-E8 0,21x ?

wicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:59 PM   #24

I've not used a fish-eye so cannot give specifics. I think if you shoot a full 360, then stitch it with a fairly large number of stitch points, the program should calculate everything you need. Once you have the lens data, and have tested it enough to be confident, you can input those values and use fewer stitching points.

I'd suggest shooting three images for a full 360 instead of two. There have been lawsuits from IPIX against anyone stitching with two so some software is limited. Fixes exist, but try the simpler stuff first.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:54 PM   #25

Iown a 0-360 lens and the quality is not that bad, but only on good light conditions (outdoors), or if shooting indoors you have to be very careful if you are shooting on a low light and have a lot of light bulbs, the lens does not seem to like light bulbs as the light will show as an explosion on the picture (very nasty)I have several test images, indoor as well as outdoor, if anyone wants to see some of them let me know.

in my opinion the 0-360 is good for quick and dirty jobs, that are only required for the web if you are carefull with the indoor lights everything is just fine. but if you ever need more quality the 0-360 won't deliver.

Shanti Castillo G.
Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote