Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:40 AM   #1

I'm looking for information about the best panorama software on the market.

I'm also wondering which printer (max 600 US dollars) is the best to print panorama photo's......
vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:10 AM   #2

IMHO, the best stitching software is still Panorama Tools. It is also the most difficult to use, to install, and to learn, even with one of the graphic front-ends (PTGui, PTAssembler, PTMac, Hugin, ...). Well worth the effort. In addition, to use all of PT's power, you need a photo editor capable of using PhotoShop masked layers.

Since PT is difficult, it is worthwhile also getting one of the simpler automagical stitching programs like The Panorama Factory. Those are limited in what they can do, but are simpler and faster in the situations where they do work.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:20 PM   #3

Go to www.ulead.com and check it out. I used a free 15 day trial version and now I own the complete version. It is a very good and very easy to use program. I just did a very long panorama for My Church to use on a display. I have not seen the completed display yet but the company printing the panorama said the photograph was just going to be perfect for it. It will be finished to use before Christmas so when I see the end product I will take a picture of it and give My report. It is the first Panorama I have done with My D100 so I was on a learning experence. I tried the ACDsee stitch plug in first and it was awful. It did not look right at all no matter what I tried to do to improve the photo's. I was told to try Ulead by someone on one of these forums and It worked perfect the first time. The panorama is actually a U-Shape streightened out real long. The playground was to My extreme left and the picture ends at My extreme right. It turned out great. I can't wait to do a panorama moving the tripod across a flat line.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:11 PM   #4

Hi,
a new free multirow panorama software has just been released: Autostitch
http://www.autostitch.net/
It is extremely simple and works very well. You select the pics and the program does the rest. The feedback at DPReview's forums on this app has been very positive:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11239817
I tried a tricky test panorama on a set of handheld small room pics (wall 7 feet away) and it stitched the pics fine, better than Panorama factory or pricy Realviz Stitcher.
And it is only a 1 MB download. Go get it!
(it seems the site is somehow right now down)

edit: found a working link:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:09 PM   #5

If you want simple automatic one row stichting that can work with PSD files and Photoshop layers, you may want to consider Photoshop Elements 3. It has Photomerge, which is as good an engine as many of the other automatic products, but also *is* Photoshop in most other respects.

In fact, I have Photoshop CS, which I use in the bulk of my photography and scanning. I recently went and bought Elements 3 for $65/US because it had the Photomerge, and also because it has a red eye remover tool that's great (press Y, click on the red eye, red eye is then gone) and a few other nice things that make it perfect for my wife. She's currently using PSE3 to build DVD slide shows of some of our photos. A nice program for the price.
ausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:49 PM   #6

Your questions on software have been fairly comprehensively answered. As for printers I have always gotten excellent results from the Epson R800 using Premium Glossy Paper rolls.

I have printed out a couple of them and one of them, a liittle over a metre long,is hanging on the bedroom wall. The other, just over two metres long, is lying flat on the floor because blu-tac simply can't hold that weight on the wall! A proper picture frame and some pretty decent strength screws are well advised!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:10 PM   #7

I've used Panavue Image Assembler for a number of years. Panavue.com Works with wide angle lenses, use C8080 at 28mm. It corrects distortions from wide angle. Best, you can tilt the camera, the software has an input for tilting angle and corrects for it (I've tilted as much as 80 degrees down, stitched that with another pano which was about 45 degrees down). It has a save-as directly to MOV. I stitch the pano, edit the TIF in Photoshop, then create the MOV back in Panavue using that one file. In Photoshop you can open orginal source files and clone correction right into the pano image (best to do cloning corrections before making any levels, contrast, shadow-highlight changes). If you have problems stitching 360s sometime it is best to make a few smaller panos and put those together.

I personally use a Epson R800, use a Epson 2200 at work and I'm waiting for a replacement to the 2200.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:19 PM   #8

jnrob wrote:
Quote:
a new free multirow panorama software has just been released: Autostitch
I concur with the kudos that jnrob wrote about this new stitching application. It's not yet a commercial product, being offered only as a demo. The application's user interface is very barebones and immature. But, the actual ability to stitch pictures into a decent panorama is implemented in the code and autostitch does a very good job at it.

What's really amazing about this program is that it really is so simple. You don't even have to specify the stitching order of the images as it can determine that automatically from its analysis of the images. Exposure matching across the images seems to accounted for too.

When this product goes commercial I'll be very tempted to get it.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:41 AM   #9

Thanks for all the information.

My plan is to buy a A3 printer, forphotopaper on rolls.

Is it wise to wait for the new Epson wide inkjet printer?

Where can I find more information about this expected replacement of the Epson 2200?

Thanx in advance.

Jan.
vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:09 AM   #10

I think the Epson 2200 prints only to 40 inches width at photo quality. A moderator on another board upgraded from the 2200 for that reason. Canons are useless in wide format printers for panoramas. They print only to around 24 inches wide.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote